Chapter 8

The entourage reached the royal household by sunset. The house did not hold any signs of joy or festivities and looked rather gloomy for a house that is to welcome two newly-wed brides into its premises.

The brides got down from the palanquin tired. Dhanusree was a bit sad to be separated from her parents for the first time but Devyani's mind was occupied by some other thoughts. Her palanquin ride, which she had shared with her husband, was extremely uncomfortable and she was further sceptical about living in his house under his mercy.

The few hours she had spent with her new husband in the palanquin had made her realise, that he had not decided to continue their marriage out of affection for her, but out of some other pressure. But, secretly, she was also glad that she had not acknowledged their marriage out of any pity for her condition which she was initially suspicious and the thought had crawled in and out of her mind multiple times during their wedding ceremony. But, it still irked her that her husband did not like her, if not love her like she had hoped her future groom would.

One of the house helps who had accompanied the entourage went ahead to go through the door and inform the ladies of the house about their arrival.

After a couple of minutes, Balarama's mother, Parvati, came out with her handmaid, with a lit lamp and several bridal fineries to welcome her daughter in law into the household. She wore a sweet smile on her face and Dhanusree was relieved to see that her mother in law was not a scary old hag like the aunt that had caused the scene at their wedding venue. On the other hand, Parvati was relieved to see her daughter in law was a beautiful and meek girl. She had not heard anything about her son's future bride through the spies because the girls had had a very sheltered upbringing and she was very particular that her only son's bride should be pretty at the least.

After all the rites were performed Dhanusree was serenaded into the house by a very happy Parvati. As they walked into the house, Devyani did not miss the sad smile Parvati gave her as she looked back before passing the threshold of the main door causing Devyani to be more uneasy. Stray thoughts wandered around in her mind. She wondered if the mothers already knew about her condition and the incident that had taken place at the wedding.

A couple of minutes passed but Indrajith's mother did not come out to welcome Devyani. Indrajith waited by her side dutifully yet impatiently. But as time passed, his impatience got the better of him and he walked away, yet again leaving a very distraught looking Devyani at the entrance of the house. People, who had accompanied them, started murmuring and tears welled in Devyani's doe-like eyes.

Indrajith stormed into his mother's room and practically yelled, ' Mother! What are you doing? Making us wait like that. What will people say?'

'I was not making you wait. I was not going to come down at all. I do not want to welcome that dumb girl into my home. She can go back to wherever she came from.', Lakshmi said with her acid tongue.

'Mother, that is not your decision to make. I cannot abandon her just because she is mute.', Indrajith said, parroting the words Keshav told him.

'Oh really? But I heard that was not your first decision. Did you think that I would not know what happened at the wedding venue just because I was not physically present there?'. Lakshmi added the last part seeing the surprised look on Indrajith's face.

'Mother, please I beg you. You can act as you please towards her once you have welcomed her into the house. But for now, please come down and welcome her into the house. Otherwise, people will talk. I do not want people talking bad things about you.', Indrajith said with his hands folded.

Lakshmi considered his words for a moment and then got up and summoned her handmaid and asked her to bring her a lit lamp.

Together, they went out into the foyer of the house to see a very lost looking Devyani.

Devyani sighed in relief at the sight of the elderly woman accompanying Indrajith. She had feared that she would be made to stand there all night long. But Devyani's joy was short-lived as his mother practically thrust the lit lamp into her hands before turning around and walking into the house.

Unlike Dhanusree's mother in law, her mother in law did not give her any bridal fineries nor did she give her a proper smile. Similar to her husband her mother in law had only decreed her fit for a glare.

Trembling, she stepped into the house as Indrajith watched her emotionlessly. Her only wish now, was that the earth to split in two and swallow her.