Chapter 9

Devayani entered the large bungalow holding the lit lamp. She felt even more disturbed by the welcome her mother in law had given. She was heartbroken by the way her mother in law had not even spared her a glance. She had not expected to be isolated in her new home despite the way her husband had behaved. She had given up on her husband after the incident at the temple.

Devayani was happy about one thing though. Her sister Dhanusree was getting everything she had wished for. Dhanusree's mother in law seemed to be a sweet woman and had showered Dhanusree with gifts which Devyani was sure she would adore and appreciate.

Even her sister's husband seemed like a nice man. It had not gone unnoticed on her behalf when Balarama had helped her sister out of the palanquin they had ridden when they reached the royal house. Devayani could already tell Balaram was smitten by her sister and would go to the moon and back for her, unlike her husband who did not even want. The thought made her insides churn. Indrajith had not even defended her in front of his mother. She knew he only went and got his mother to welcome her because he did not want his subjects to think ill of him which was also the reason why he agreed to remain married to her.

Devayani was not a stupid girl. Her father had made sure, both his daughters were well educated and had hired tutors from different states to teach them all that they need to know about the world. Therefore, she knew how these royals thought. She had hoped her parents would be progressive like they have all been and would request her to stay back instead of accompanying Indrajith but her parents had failed her at the most crucial point of her life.

She saw that she was standing alone in the middle of a large, empty room which appeared to be the main room of the house. Keshav, the housekeeper whom she had met during her wedding, hurried towards her and took the lit lamp from her hands and said, 'Please do not cry, my child.'

That is when she realised tears were streaming down her cheeks. Quickly wiping the tears, she heard Keshav summon a maid. A meek-looking girl rushed into the room. Keshav turned to Devayani once again and told her kindly, 'This is Radha, your maid. She will take care of your needs. Radha, please help the lady freshen up.', Keshav told the last part to Radha, who nodded and took one of Devayani's hands leading her towards large a grand looking bedroom.

Through hand gestures, Devayani managed to ask Radha whose room it was and Radha promptly replied that it was Indrajith's room. Nodding, Devayani walked towards the large bath built beside the room. It had been a long day and it felt good to soak her tired muscles in the soothing and fragrant bath that Radha had drawn her.

After freshening up, Radha led a relaxed Devayani to the dining hall only to find most of the family members leaving after their dinner. Devayani found her sister, Dhanusree who was beyond excited.

'Sister, they are also nice. Mother gave so many gifts. We were worried for no reason. You should come to see the gifts in my room. You should show me what you got too.' Dhanusree said happily.

Devayani gave her a weak smile and gestured to her that she will visit her the following day since today was both their wedding night. Dhanusree blushed and skittered away. Devayani was sure she would not have a beautiful wedding night that she had always dreamt of but she did not want to deal with her sister right now.

She saw Indrajith too leaving the dining hall but he ignored her. Sighing, Devayani had her dinner and once again followed Radha to another room where she let Radha adorn her with the jewellery her parents gave her and braided her hair with fresh flowers.

As she walked towards Indrajith's room bracing herself for his wrath, she was surprised to find her mother in law awaiting her at the entrance of her new bedroom.

'Where do you think you are going all dressed up?', Lakshmi asked rather scornfully.

Devayani was taken aback looked back at her bewildered. Lakshmi continued speaking, 'I will not let you live peacefully under this roof, you gold digger. You tried trapping my husband first and when that did not work out as you and your family had planned, you sink your claws into my dear son. He was bound by duty to marry you but he necessarily need not fulfil his marital duties towards you.', her mother in law said with an evil smirk before pulling her by an arm and leading her towards a small room, pushing her into it.

'Today onwards you will stay in this room. You are nothing more than his maid in this house. Do not expect to lead a beautiful family life with him. He will marry someone who is not a handicapped person and beget his heirs from her. You can serve them. That is the only right you will ever get.', saying this, Lakshmi turned on her heel, shutting the door behind her leaving a frantic looking Devayani behind in the darkroom, like a prisoner.