Chapter 10

Indrajith woke up at dawn after quite a disturbing night. He couldn't fall asleep no matter how much he tried. His mind always went back to the betrayed look on Devayani's face.
She had not slept with him last night as was custom.
He was quite annoyed about staying in the same room as her but he was also upset when he heard the accusations and admonishments that his mother had hurled at Devayani.
He knew he had acted like a coward when he did not go out into the corridor and defend his wife. But he had already hurt his mother so much by marrying Devayani  that he did not have the heart to look her in the eye and say she was wrong.
So he slept alone or rather tried to, in the big room that was supposed to be their marital bedroom.
He went to the large bath adjacent to his room and did his morning ablutions. After he was dressed for the day he went to the dining hall to see his brother and his new wife, giggling at each other, reminiscing some inside joke.
He felt only anger and pity towards himself. His brother who always was the uptight one had managed to earn the trust and love of a stranger girl within a day while he did not even know where his wife was.
Suddenly he heard the tinkling of the bells of anklets behind him. As he turned around, he saw a freshly bathed Devayani standing in front of him with a large gold plate in her hand. She was accompanied by a young girl who Indrajith assumed  was one of the new maids, Keshav had hired for new wives  of the house.
Indrajith took in his wife's appearance. Her wet hair flowed down her back in loose ringlets. She wore very little jewellery  compared to her sister.  Her eyes were red rimmed as if she had cried herself to sleep last night. Looking away from her face with guilt, he asked rather harshly, ' What do you want?'
The young maid stepped forward meekly to tell Indrajith, 'The lady wants to serve you breakfast, my lord.'
After glaring at Devayani for a moment, he went ahead and seated himself silently beside his brother who along with his wife, had dropped their flirtatious banter and  was looking wide eyed at the curious tableau that was formed here.
Grateful that Indrajith had not denied her, her rights in front of her sister and maid, Devayani scrambled towards Indrajith to serve him his breakfast.
As Indrajith had his first morsel of food for the day, he realised it tasted different but, very delicious.
He quietly continued having his food as Devayani waited by his side fanning him with feathered a fan.
Balarama cleared his throat and addressed Devayani, 'Sister, Dhanu here told me that you made all these dishes on your own and I must say all these dishes are lipsmackingly delicious. Never in my life have I tasted such a variety of dishes.'
Devayani blushed at his praise and bowed her head in gratitude.
But Indrajith stiffened hearing his brother appreciating his wife. He got quite annoyed at his little brother's behaviour.
Here, he and his mother were trying to teach her a lesson and Balarama, on the other side was placing her on a high pedestal.
But, a small voice in his mind asked him, 'why are you teaching her lesson?'
Suddenly irritated with himself he washed his hands in the finger bowl and stormed out of the dining hall, leaving behind a shocked trio consisting of his brother, sister in law and wife.