Ch10.

That night, Jisoo tosses in bed, regretting the hasty agreement to assist Nayeon as her love advisor.

What if Jennie doesn't want to be wooed back? Maybe it was a toxic relationship? Wouldn't it be a form of disrespect to press on if so? She rationalizes the reason for her regret is her ignorance of the complete picture, and not because she has any feelings for Jennie. Right?

Pressing her face into her pillow, she groans in utter frustration. Just then, her phone buzzes on the bedside table.

Jisoo squints at the bright screen and she doesn't know why but her heart skips at reading Jennie's name. She chalks it up to guilty conscience.

Jennie: Hey, I hope I did not pull you from your sweet dreams.

Jisoo smiles subconsciously as she replies: I'm glad you did, because it was a nightmare.

Jennie: Really??

It is kind of a nightmare to be tossing in bed with overwhelming regret over a rushed decision, but Jisoo omits that in her reply: Kidding... just preoccupied with some thoughts. What about you? Can't sleep?

Jennie: If you care to share, I'll always care to listen. :) As for me, I just got in bed actually.

Jisoo briefly wonders why Jennie is texting her, before quickly receiving the answer in the form of another text from Jennie.

Jennie: And was thinking of wishing you goodnight.

Her heart arrhythmia shocks her such that she shoots up into a sitting position while her mind scrambles for a good response. Her hands feel clammy against her phone so she wipes them against her pajama pants.

Pushing these strange reactions of her body out of her mind for now, she types: Aww... And then she pauses, because although she is inwardly swooning, how can she possibly continue after "aww..." without sounding lame?

Her thumb taps the side of her phone as she ponders, and the next time she looks down at her phone, she is mortified to see that she has sent the one and only Aww....

What the hell?!

Her eyes scan in panic. There is no "Jennie is typing..." at the top of the screen and Jisoo concludes the CEO has been momentarily stunned by the lameness. Maybe permanently.

In an urgent attempt to salvage this conversation, Jisoo hurriedly types.

Jisoo: In contrast, I got in bed an hour ago actually.

She pushes the send button, and types another message.

Jisoo: And was thinking of asking you to lunch tomorrow.

It is not entirely true, because the idea of lunch struck her only a second ago, but neither is it entirely false, because she has been thinking about Jennie ever since dinner. Lunch tomorrow could be an opportunity for her to somehow find out about how Jennie feels about Nayeon now. Then she could decide if she should help Nayeon like she so rashly said she would.

Her phone vibrates with Jennie's reply.

Jennie: You needed an hour to think about asking me to lunch?

Jisoo wipes her clammy hands once more across her pajama pants, and keeps her right thumb tucked behind the phone as she holds it. Phew, my 'aww...' has not killed her or the convo.

Jisoo: Well, an architect should always design an escape route in case of natural disasters, such as a rejection.

Jennie: Does this CEO seem like a natural disaster to you?