Chapter 10

Hollyleaf's POV
Hollyleaf forced her eyes open, trying to ignore the stinging in her blurry vision. Dovewing's grey fur was a few tail-lengths away from her. She motioned downwards with her paw. Hollyleaf looked down, surprised to see orange fur less than her own length away. A few bubbles escaped Dovewing's mouth as she reached down to grab Foxleap by his scruff. Hollyleaf pushed herself forward to help her friend drag the unconscious tom upwards. Her lungs were starting to ache for oxygen, but she kept pulling. Until she felt her ear tips brush cool air. With one last push, her head broke the surface, along with Dovewing's. Relieved, she gasped for air and heaved Foxleap onto the hard ground.
"We did it!" Hollyleaf panted, while Dovewing coughed water onto the floor.
"He's still dreaming." Hollyleaf added, shaking her drenched pelt. "But he's safe."
Dovewing nodded, gazing at the sleeping warrior. "We should drink the water, too. I mean, Spottedleaf obviously wanted us to! I wonder what Foxleap is doing right now!"
"Let's go!" Hollyleaf meowed, suddenly fuzzing with energy.
"Wait!" Dovewing gasped. "Do you hear that?" Hollyleaf pricked her ears and strained to identify any sounds above their heavy breathing. Claws. Claws scrabbling on stone just outside the Moonpool Cave. Fear squeezed Hollyleaf's heart.
"Who-"
"Shh!" Dovewing hissed. She crept forward and peered out of the opening.
"Help!" A voice called from down below. "It's-its me, uh, Lionblaze!"
Hollyleaf's eyes widened. Lionblaze? He's dead! She thought.
"Lionblaze! We're coming!" Dovewing screeched and hurried out of the cave, Hollyleaf not far behind.
Suddenly something slammed into Hollyleaf's side. She lost her balance and tumbled down the rocky hillside, just to be pinned down by some cat at the bottom. The air was knocked out of her lungs and she gasped for oxygen under the cats heavy paws. She gagged as an evil, revolting smell crept into her nose. Her face was pressed into the stone, but out of the corner of her eye she could she Dovewing also pinned down under a dark tabby.
"Looks like our little plan worked, huh?" A voice snarled. At first Hollyleaf didn't recognise it. But then...
Hollyleaf's blood turned to ice in her veins.
Tigerstar.