s i x

Rachel had moved in on Sunday evening and it was now Friday- the day we had arranged for my sister to come over and it was evident there was a high chance that Rachel was going to lose it today.

The last few days we had avoid leaving the house instead using our time to try and get to know each other in depth as well as making it look as if Rachel was starting to put her touch on my house. Throughout the days, Rachel kept her distance from me, never getting too close or letting her guard down too much but at night, she subconsciously attached her body to mine and refused to let it go. I hadn't brought it up to her though because secretly I liked how she sought comfort in bed, even if it was only when she slept.

I had made breakfast for us both this morning. It turned out Rachel wasn't too bad a cook so we had been taking turnabout but knowing how nervous she was about Erin's visit, I decided I'd be in charge of food for the day. Erin was flying in from our hometown and was staying the entire weekend, something she often did when she came to visit but the idea of playing pretend full-time made Rachel go in to full on panic mode.

She was currently pacing around the bedroom as I watched on, trying to think of something we could do until Erin's flight got in that might calm her down.

"You know the spare bedroom downstairs is pretty big. We could move all your photography stuff into there and turn it into your own little studio if you wanted." I said catching sight of some of her equipment in the corner of our bedroom, where we had just left it yesterday.

Her face instantly lit up and she finally stopped pacing.

"Really Kel, we could do that?"

"Go finish getting ready and I'll start clearing out the room. Once that's done we'll head out and get stuff to decorate and make it your space."

Rachel turned into a little kid at Christmas rushing around trying to get ready and instantly forgot about my sister while I went to dismantle the bed in that room and start to move the furniture into the hallway so we could store in our garage. I won't lie, by the time, Rachel appeared to 'help' most of the work was done.

I explained my idea of keeping the room light and repainting the entire room white, adding a sleek, white desk to sit her laptop on and then make sure the room had black out blinds so the lighting wouldn't be affected in her shots. Then we would just move all the lighting, tripods and actual camera and lenses into the room. If she realized she needed anything else, we could buy it later.

As before, I held one of her soft, small hands through the different stores and happily swiped my card for her. We hadn't discussed finances but I had a pretty good idea of how her situation was and honestly- I didn't mind it.

"Babe, can I leave you to look around here, I just need to run to another store quickly and pick something up. I'll come back to this store and find you." I asked her to which she nodded and continued looking around the aisles.

Although we had talked a lot of the last few days we still hadn't got to the talk on boundaries, something we probably should have before my sister arrived but it was slightly too late now. I hazarded a guess and hoped she wouldn't mind too much as I leant down and kissed her cheek goodbye before rushing off. I knew if she was going to start taking her photography seriously she would need a better laptop than the one I had seen her bring into the house yesterday as that looked about as old as Rachel.

I checked Rachel wasn't following me and found the first sickenly upbeat apple employee in the shop and told them exactly what I needed. Twenty minutes later, I was running to the car to hide the MacBook Pro and brand-new iPhone with our other purchases before heading back to find Rachel.