e i g h t

A/N-  we are back to Sunday updates y'all! And if you do happen to read my other book 'Lost and Found'- there will be an overdue update tomorrow!

It was clear that having to spend the whole weekend pretending that we were in love had taken its toll on Rachel and come Sunday evening, she insisted she was too tired and that I should drive Erin to the airport by myself. She still was polite and said goodbye to Erin while helping carry her bag to my car but it didn't take a detective to tell the atmosphere was different.

"Is Rachel okay? You two haven't had a fight, have you?" My sister asked breaking our so far silent drive.

"Yeah she's okay." I lied when honestly, I had no idea why she couldn't have just kept acting for at least another hour when Erin was gone. "She gets a bit down on her period, don't worry I'm going to head back to cuddle her and feed her ice-cream as soon as you're through security." I said praying that it was a believable enough lie for Erin not to question it. Luckily, she didn't.

"She's lucky to have you Kelley. You seem happy but you better let me know when you decide to propose. No more secrets Kel." She said trying to cheer me up.

"I'll let you know as soon as I pick a ring."

Erin and I were pretty used to only getting to see each other a few times a year and although I did miss my sister, her constant annoying texts and calls meant that neither of us felt the need for those over-emotional airport goodbyes portrayed in the movies.

Driving home, I was nervous about what Rachel was thinking. We had done so well this weekend, or at least I had thought we had but I had no way of knowing if she agreed. We had only known each other a week which was hard to process in my mind because to me, it had already felt like we'd been friends forever.

I entered the house quietly, and not expecting to have to go out again, I decided to lock up. I couldn't hear the TV on or in fact, any movement from downstairs so I made the assumption that Rachel was upstairs in our room and headed there.

The blinds were down and no lights were on meaning the room was now pitch black but I didn't want to turn on the main light. The only give away that Rachel was even in the room was the occasional soft sniffle I could hear.

"Rachel, you okay?" I asked, moving closer to the bed. I could make out some movement and could tell she was huddled up on my side of the bed.

"Go away Kelley."

This time I could hear the tears in her voice and the obvious hurt she was feeling. I wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to help and make her feel better but she had told me to leave and I really didn't know if she was just saying that because she wanted me to go or because she was sad.

"You sound upset Rachel. Is it me? Can I at least try and make you feel better?" I questioned moving slightly closer in a hope she'd open up to me.

"I said go away Kelley."

I decided that until I knew her better it would probably be best to do as she said and give her some space. I moved over and pulled the duvet that was covering her face down so I could try and make her out a bit more in the darkness.

"Okay I'll be downstairs. Just shout me if you need me baby." I whispered and placed a soft kiss on her hairline before tucking the cover back in around her. I knew we didn't have to act just now as we were the only ones there but I had hoped that the warmth and care would try to make things better.

As Erin had got to the house as soon as we had finished painting we hadn't had any time to put any of the new furniture in what would be Erin's home photography studio so I decided I would do that so when she felt better and up to using it, it was there for her. I started with the desk and set up her MacBook. I had order her a large fluffy rug to warm up the room and then a comfy chair and some cushions to put in the corner. On the other side of the room, I just moved her backdrop and lighting as I had no clue how they would be set up and I was terrified I was going to break them. It taken me well over an hour to set everything up and it had tired me out more than I liked to admit as a professional athlete so I decide to go put Netflix on the TV and just do nothing for a while.

I had gotten bored with the movie I had chosen pretty quickly and ended up scrolling through my social media. Since posting the photo with Rachel, my friends hadn't stopped texting me, begging to meet her so I should probably discuss that with her but definitely not until she was in a better mood. I scrolled through the photo comments and found the majority of them were positive- my fans had quickly twigged that Rachel was most likely my girlfriend although I hadn't actually called her that and they seemed happy for me.

I looked up on hearing footsteps and saw Rachel's tear stained face, standing in front of me, wrapped up in one of the blankets I kept in the bedroom.

"Hey you, you feeling better now?"

She didn't respond but came over and sat on my lap without any warning and cuddled into me. I took the opportunity to cuddle her back and hold this beautiful girl close to my body while she was actually awake and letting me be this close. She was still sniffling a bit but she at least wasn't crying. We stayed that way until the credits on the movie had been watching started and I looked down at Rachel giving her all my focus and noticed she had been starting up at me.

"Sorry." She whispered and tried to move but I just held her tighter to me and eventually she gave up and stayed still.

"You've got nothing to be sorry about. I just wish I knew what got you all sad?"

"I don't know it was just all a bit much so soon. I liked Erin I really do, it's just..."

"She can be a bit full on at times?" I said finishing her sentence, knowing exactly what she meant.

"It makes me worried about meeting all your friends and teammates like all at once. If I struggle this much after meeting just your sister, how am I going to react to a whole load of people." She confessed into my chest.

"I know it will be hard but think of it this way, you meet them all once and then you don't have to do it again rather than having to meet them all individually. Alex already likes you so you don't have to worry about her and I'll fight anyone else who thinks otherwise." I said, giving her sides a slight tickle.

"Will I meet them soon?" She asked finally looking more cheerful.

"Well about that. That's something we need to talk about. I actually have a camp this week. I'm meant to leave on Tuesday and then we have a game on Friday night and then another next Tuesday and then I'll be home the following Thursday. Is that okay with you?" I asked. I had meant to bring it up soon but much like a lot of our other important conversations, it had gotten pushed aside.

"Is it okay? Kelley, soccer is your job and I'm well aware that during the season you're not even in the state. I'm also aware that there may or may not be a World Cup this summer and I expect that you'll be on the team. So of course, you can go and kick a ball around."

"Hey, there's a lot more skill than just kicking a ball I'll have you know. How would you feel about maybe coming to see one of the games? I could get you a room at the hotel so that way you can see me in action." I hoped she'd say yes because there was only so long that I was going to be able to hold my teammates back now they had found out I was in a 'long-term relationship'.

"Maybe the Tuesday one so we could come home together?" She questioned making me grin at her. I agreed and said I would sort all the arrangements and let her know them. I also decided I would pack her an O'Hara jersey so she had something acceptable to wear to the game.

"Seeing as you said yes, I've got a surprise for you." I told her and her face lit up.

I laughed and stood up telling her to close her eyes. After some convincing that I wouldn't let her walk into anything and that I wouldn't do anything mean, she let me lead her to what was the old spare room and into her new studio space.

"One, two, three, you can open them."

I watched on as she looked around the room in amazement, going over every detail. Even though we had decided on most of the decoration together she still looked surprised at everything.

"I love it! Thank you so much Kel!" She said as she engulfed me into a giant hug. "Promise once I've got the equipment set up you'll let me take some shots of you?"

"You can do anything you like my princess."