11- Questions and Answers

I stared through the chilled glass, heart hammering in my chest as I was sure that I had heard him wrong. My face was full of the obvious shock.
Was Mike... helping me? I narrowed my eyes with confusion, breathing out slowly as I stared at the human's expressionless face. I didn't have time to think about it properly.
Sam spoke from just beside me, "What?"
My eyes snapped back round to face him again. Micah.

I was focused firmly on the motionless figure of my small friend as Sam held him tight between gigantic fingers. Frozen with fear, the boy didn't dare to turn his head and look back at me. It seemed that he couldn't tear his eyes away from the terrifying face of his captor. If I was scared when Sam picked me up in that horrible hand, then Micah must have been completely sick with terror. I tried to ignore the dread churning in my chest as I looked at the two of them.
Sam had turned to the blonde human now, his eyebrows raised in a sort of amused surprise. He smirked, looking at the flat expression on his friend's face.
Mike didn't react aside from a quiet, "That's enough. There's no need to hurt him."

"Don't tell me you feel bad..." Sam began with a smirk, each word full of taunting sarcasm.
Mike cut him off with a sharp groan, "Be quiet. I'm not asking you for her sake."
Her. He meant me, of course, but I wished he wouldn't say the word with such exaggeration.
Sam just chuckled with a sound that made my knees feel weak. Well, there goes my fantasy of Mike helping me.

The human turned to look down at me, the icy blue eyes snubbing my tiny spark of hope out instantly. His face was on the verge of making me stumble backwards as Mike smiled at my bewildered expression. But it wasn't a kind smile. It wasn't what a smile should be. It was cold and paralytic, full of a terrifying malice that made me want to quiver and press myself against the walls of the prison. But I held back the trembles, knowing that the boy was still right beside me. I couldn't be scared; not with Micah's life hanging in the balance.
He tutted through the smirk, "You heard her. She won't tell you anything if you hurt... what's his name? Micah."
Slowly, I wrapped my arms around my waist and glared at him. At least he got the point.
Sam only laughed in response, "You're kidding, right? You can't be seriously taking orders from her."
"I'm not taking- ugh, you're so annoying. Would you just do it?" Mike's voice boomed in a bored-sounding tone, popping my ears. Had my focus not been completely directed on the little Youngling, I would have covered my ears.

The giant gave an almighty sigh as he lowered the hand over the table, then dropped the boy from his grip begrudgingly.
I let out a cry as he fell backwards through the air, "Micah!"
Micah fell onto the surface below with a harsh blow to his little limbs and immediately scrambled up to the side of the jar, still panting and clutching his chest protectively.

The huge human relaxed back into his seat. I realised that he looked almost annoyed that he had been forced to put his new prisoner down. The dull irritation seemed to be directed at me, and he showed this with a frown that made me gulp.
Sam sighed lowly and the look faded from his face, "I can't believe that you're being bossed around by..." he now smirked again, looking me up and down, "A tiny girl."
Mike gave him an irritated smile and crossed his arms, "Shut up, Sam. I'm trying to get something done. Unlike you. You just want to upset her."
Sam responded with a shrug. A shrug wasn't denying the accusation.

Listening to the two of them talk between themselves reminded me of the rowdy, boyish scouts from back home. The teasing, the joking, it was so familiar, yet I couldn't seem to understand how the two monsters holding me captive could joke around with each other like friends. It didn't feel right. They were like nightmares, not like people. Now, Sam turned his attention back to me.
His cold eyes peered in at me through the glass, "I'm sure you'll behave now, won't you?"