Chapter Two

Chapter Two | Tinola

"You're doing it wrong!" Reklamo ko kay Valen.

He is currently lying on my bed, occupying most of the space. Kaya nakaupo ako sa isang sulok at tinitingnan ang gawa niya sa daliri ko.

He looks so serious and focused while he is crouched on my toes, trying to apply nail polish. Kaya nga lang, sobrang kalat.

"Keep it inside the nails!" I hissed, "Ang kalat naman!"

Valen raised his head, his eyes meeting mine. There was a spark of irritation in his stare, hooded by his dark lashes.

"May I remind you that I'm doing this for free," He mumbled.

Humagalpak ako sa tawa. Ang OA talaga neto. I leaned towards him and gave him a noisy kiss on his right cheek.

"'Yan na bayad ko," I chuckled. He blinked.

"Not enough," He breathed out.

My eyes widened, "Perv!"

"Ang feeling," He sneered at me, his deep voice ringing in my ears, "Libre mo nalang ako ng bubble tea."

A small smile tugged on his lips as he rolled his eyes. He shifted on the bed, the subtle muscles on his shoulder flexing as he moved, and he re-focused his attention on my nails. I found myself staring at him, at the lines of his creased forehead, the bridge of his nose, the angles of his face... I cleared my throat and shifted my eyes to my phone instead.

Dahil start of classes na next week, panay ang pang-iinis ni Valen sa akin na mag bar-hopping kami sa may Mango. But I was not in the mood. Mas gusto ko nalang na mag review for my track. Mayroon naman kaming Public Policy na course last semester, but it only covered the general areas of writing a policy brief. Rinig ko halos lahat ng instructors namin ay may Law degree, or in practice. Sobrang strict daw ng mga prof sa Legal studies, sabi ng higher batches.

Hays. Bat ba kasi 'ko nag Pol Sci?

"One hour lang?" Si Valen. It's seven in the evening and he's bitching again about the bar hop.

I am currently sitting on a stool in the kitchen island, my eyes fixed on my laptop. Sabi niya naman sa akin last week na aalis daw siya kahit wala ako. Kasi he "needs to recharge" raw. My brows creased.

"I don't like nga," I turned my head to him.

I stilled when I saw him. The sleeves of his white wool polo shirt were folded neatly. Kahit sa simpleng suot, he looked so good. His hair was combed back, but strands of it fell onto his forehead. He looked like a god... an Adonis. I will forever be in awe of Valen's face. But I won't tell that to his face, lest I'd contribute to his confidence which is already at maximum capacity.

"Please?" He made his way to the high stool chair I was sitting on. His hands made their way to the back of the chair, and he pulled it so my body could completely face him.

"Nope," Sagot ko. I cleared my throat, trying hard not to react to the scent of his cologne... pine, and mist... or the heat of his body. 

What fresh hell is this?

"Besides, if my Mom finds out..." I pointed out. My conservative, devoted Catholic mother would freak out. She's already openly against the fact that I have a male roommate, kahit na ilang beses na kaming nagbigay ng assurance that Valen prefers men. And yes, she's very homophobic about it.

Isang nguso ang iginawad ni Valen. I felt his arm brush my elbow as he stepped away. I didn't even know I was holding my breath until he was inches from me.