4 - Humans

Ruelle ~ Carry You ft. Fleurie

*

Jungkook was speechless.

"H-humans? Were they fighting over food?" he laughed nervously.

Dahyun shook her head.

"No. Not many outsiders know this, but humans started it, from the inside."

"How? Weren't they already extinct by then?"

"That's what many think in our time but it isn't fully true. Humans as a species had disappeared, but it's not just that they were eaten. They turned into werewolves and vampires. Had kids and made them mate other half-breeds. It was purely for survival, at first. But it also developed into a way to slowly weaken the strong species. Half-breeds are less powerful, you see. There are hardly any pure bloods left, with werewolves you can see it from the abundance of betas. It's a sign of mixed blood."

Jungkook didn't know how to deal with all this knowledge. He would have never imagined anything like this.

"Humans decided to take their revenge. Treated as cattle and blood slaves, they worked to turn vampires and werewolves against each other. And as you can see, they succeeded, splendidly", Dahyun's smile had turned bitter.

"Eventually vampires figured it out. Enraged, they swore to have their revenge against humans. Time went by and they found out about the portal between the two worlds. That's when they decided-"

"-to invade the human world", Jungkook finished for her. The realization hit him like a lightning.

"Yes, that's right."

Jungkook was thinking hard about everything that meant.

"The vampires didn't make up with werewolves. Does this mean that the pack doesn't know what humans did?"

"I believe the elders know they were manipulated. But the scars of that war never faded. Even if they were both tricked by a common enemy, they can't fight on the same side. And that's not all, matters like these are always complicated."

I wish there was a way to bring peace between them, prevent all the future wars, Jungkook thought.

"Just one question-"

"You've already asked me many."

"Just one more, then. Why don't werewolves use the portal themselves, like vampires want to?"

"You're part of the family, you should know why", Dahyun smiled, and this time it was genuine again.

***

After finishing his tea and the cookies Dahyun had insisted on him eating, the mysterious fairy showed him to a spare bedroom where he'd stay the night. The room was small but well-kept and decorated with pretty things. The lace curtains and many strange plants along with the wooden furniture really gave off a fairy tale vibe. Jungkook wished he could show this place to Taeh- I mean, Bambam.

Speaking of Bambam, Jungkook was less worried than before. Maybe it was the sleepiness creeping up on him or the calming effect of the tea. He just knew that it would be okay and they would find each other tomorrow and continue on their journey.

The new sheets Dahyun laid out for him were soft and smelled like flowers, much like her whole home. Jungkook didn't think twice before falling on the bed, sighing in comfort. Dahyun chuckled and wished him good night, leaving the room after Jungkook wished her good night as well.

The silence was for once comforting. Ever since finding the small house, Jungkook hadn't felt any pain through the bond. He didn't know if it meant that Taehyung was okay now or if it had something to do with the place he himself was in.

Even the tender light of the room felt magical. There was a small candle on the bedside table, softly illuminating his surroundings. He remembered using a nightlight when he was a kid and still afraid of dark. As he started growing up, he got used to the darkness. The lights were never on when he came home.

Just for this night, Jungkook decided to let the candle burn. He buried himself under the warm blanket, feeling like a kid again for a moment. There was no one to kiss him good night, no one to tell him that the monsters under the bed weren't real. If anything, the monsters probably were real in this strange world he had grown to love. It was both beautiful and terrifying.

Thinking about his childhood used to make him sad but when he stared at the small flame, he didn't find himself feeling lonely. Slowly he let his eyes close and fell asleep, gentle glow on his peaceful face.

Where did his dreams lead him that night? He would forget as soon as he woke up, but in his dream he was on a beach, sitting on the warm sand and looking at the sun descending in the calm sea. Someone was holding his hand and they were warmer than the sun, more beautiful than the vibrant scenery before them. Like the sun met the waves, their lips found one another's, sealed in a promise blessed by the first star in the night.

***

"Thank you for everything!" Jungkook said as he waved to the kind fairy.

"You're welcome. Introduce me to your mate next time, okay? I'll introduce you to some of my friends too."

"O-okay. I will", Jungkook agreed, slightly blushing. He hadn't had a chance to correct who Taehyung was to him and now she thought he really was his mate.

After Dahyun's house disappeared from his view, it didn't take long before Jungkook smelled a familiar scent.

"Bambam!" he called as he ran towards his friend.

Bambam turned around at the sound of his name and ran too. He even hugged Jungkook, relief clear in his eyes.

"Where have you been? I searched for you the whole night, I was so worried!"

"Sorry Bam. I found this house, near this place, and the fairy who lives there let me stay there for the night."

Jungkook found it weird how shocked his friend was.

"A fairy? Are you kidding me?"

"Why? Is it really that strange?"

Bambam nodded, looking serious.

"Fairies hide their homes with a spell. They are basically invisible to people unless they want to be found. You're really special Kook, if they let you see them."

Jungkook smiled sheepishly, hitting Bambam's hand.

"'m not so special. Anyways, we have to keep going. Taehyung isn't too far from here, I can feel it."

Bambam just shook his head in disbelief. There really was something about this kid.

***

A/N: Aww Kookie is a special person :3