Chapter 4

Rex paces the length of the common room, his footsteps echoing through the silent room. His men are around him- sitting or leaning- waiting for some news.

Tension is thick in the air. He wishes Fives were here, but the ARC is away on a mission. He always knows how to relieve the pressure in the atmosphere with a well-timed joke or some words of optimism.

Nobody's smiled since they saw Commander Tano being loaded onto a Coruscant Guard transport, covered in blood and Skywalker clutching her hand like a lifeline.

Rex knew his Jedi Officers were joining Kenobi for dinner this evening, but things have obviously taken a turn. Nothing's ever easy for those three.

The HoloNet is spewing a lot of theories: terrorist bombing, speeder crash, even animal attack. Rex- without the real story- knows none of the rumours are true. It's not that simple.

If it were terrorism, the Coruscant Guard would still be on the scene, but they're not. He knows it wasn't a driving accident because Skywalker's speeder was at the Temple, and the General would never let Kenobi or Ahsoka drive him anywhere. Thirdly, an animal attack is highly unlikely. Ahsoka Tano would never let any animal catch her off guard.

He doesn't have any answers why his Commander ended up seriously injured, but he does know she isn't dead. If she were, the HoloNet would be having an absolute field day of tributes and statements from the Jedi. Aside from replaying the five-second-long clip of her and Skywalker boarding the transport, the HoloNet knows just about as much as Rex does.

"Sir," Coric says, his voice tired, "you're not putting the men at ease."

Rex turns towards his Second, sees the stress in the medic's eyes. Coric offers him a bitter smile, "The Corrie Guard medics looked like they had the situation under control."

Rex scans his face. If Coric thinks Ahsoka will be alright, then he'll trust him, even if his gut is still apprehensive.

He runs a hand through his buzzed hair, "I won't sleep tonight if I don't hear what happened."

"I don't think any of us will," Coric says in solidarity, "but we'll have to, especially when the General gives us the name of the person who did this to her."

Rex's eyes narrow and he lowers his voice, "You think one person did this?"

There are some sick bastards in the universe who like to spend their days trying to assassinate Jedi, but thinking about someone dedicating themselves to murdering Ahsoka makes him feel a bit sick.

"The Jedi would've sensed it coming if it was a group." Coric explains quietly, "One person would've been harder to spot."

He's right. Assuming Ahsoka is still alive- which Rex knows she is- then only one person could've been responsible, and they left the scene when they failed. If it were a group, they would've tried harder to accomplish their target.

Two of his men- Jesse and Kix- stand from one of the sofas, drawing Rex's attention away from Coric, "Boys, where are you going?"

"Guess." Jesse replies bluntly. He's never coped well when his friends have been injured in the past.

"You're not going to the Temple." Rex states authoritatively, crossing his arms over his chest as he blocks their path.

"Captain, please," Kix all but begs, "I can't just sit here and wait."

He's about to scold the junior medic, but Rex puts himself in Kix's shoes. If he was a medic, responsible for the health and wellbeing of his Jedi COs, then he wouldn't want to sit around in a time like this.