Chapter 13

The flight to Naboo is so awkward, Anakin can't even focus on flying.

Being stuck in the cockpit with the Chancellor and Obi-Wan is becoming unbearable. He's starting to wish he stayed on Coruscant with Ahsoka. Knowing he'll be seeing Padmé in a few hours is the only thing keeping him going.

"What's our ETA, Anakin?" Obi-Wan asks, even though the information is clear on the console.

"Three hours and thirteen minutes." He replies, not taking his eyes away from the viewpoint.

He and Obi-Wan are on alright terms.

Anakin still feels rage rush through his veins whenever he sees his former Master, but there isn't much that can be done about that. Obi-Wan already apologised, and Anakin forgave him- he'll just never forget what Obi-Wan was willing to put him and Ahsoka through.

It's not like his apology makes a difference to Ahsoka's condition anyways.

That does not mean you cannot forgive your Master, Chosen One.

He eases his grip on the controls and turns on auto-pilot, says, "If you'll excuse me, your Excellency."

Palpatine nods graciously as Anakin stands. He doesn't even look at Obi-Wan as he walks past. He considers a nap, but his mind is already working in overdrive so sleeping is out of the question. Instead, he goes to the back of the ship. Maybe he can find something to fix.

He gets the shock of his life when he sees a young Togruta huddled in the luggage hold.

Anakin jumps, swears whilst Ahsoka smiles up at him sheepishly, "Uh, hey, Master."

"Hey, Master?" Anakin crosses his arms over his chest, scowls, "Is that all you have to say for yourself, young lady?"

Ahsoka straightens out her legs- how did she even fit back here? "Master Plo said I could-"

"I'm not falling for that crappy excuse again." Anakin cuts her off. Ahsoka looks away, irritation swirling around her Force-signature.

He should be furious that she went behind his back- and he is- but Anakin is too emotionally drained to be annoyed at another person, especially when that person is Ahsoka.

"Move over."

"What?"

"You heard me, Snips."

Ahsoka blinks before shifting herself to one side, "I don't think we'll both fit down here." Anakin ignores her, squatting beside her, "Oh, okay..."

Anakin hums, holding onto the crate beside him so he doesn't crush his petite Padawan, "Why did you disobey my orders and sneak onto the ship?" He keeps his tone clipped- silently telling her that lying is the worst thing she could do right now.

Ahsoka sighs, rubs her prosthetic knee, "I had a bad feeling about this trip. I didn't want to regret staying on Coruscant."

She looks up at him, and Anakin can see the fear in her eyes so clearly that he may as well be looking in a mirror.

"Like the feeling that told me to take the shot for Master Obi-Wan." She looks so young, so vulnerable. "I can't explain it."

"You don't have to. I understand." He says quietly, slinging an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his side. "I have bad feelings about things all the time, Snips."

They sit in silence for a while, Ahsoka resting her head on his shoulder, so still that he thinks she's fallen asleep. She's skin and bones under his arm; she really needs to start eating more.