Prologue

Kneel Before The King

Prologue

The kingdom above anything else

.•*•.

"Mother, father, you requested for me?" I ask them as I bow down on the floor in front of their thrones. The throne room is empty except for my parents sitting on their thrones and I, who still bows before them with respect. "You may stand, my child" My father's voice speaks and I lift my gown and then stand up on my feet. Finally I raise my head to look up at them. "Princess Cora, you are our only child and when it gives us no pleasure in doing this, you have a responsibility to your kingdom and family" He begins.

I nod my head at his words, the words that I've heard my entire life. I have a duty and I will do whatever it takes to fulfill it. "Our great kingdom is dying and only you can save it" My mother speaks as my eyes run over to her in shock. Dying? I do not understand. "Tell me what I must do and I shall do it" I speak but I do not dare moving from the place I stand. "You are to be married to a King. He will provide for our kingdom" My father says.

On the outside my face remains emotionless and normal while on the inside I wish to scream out my feelings, the shock and surprise wanting nothing more than to take over me. My whole life I knew my parents would find a King for me to marry yet I did not know they would do it so quickly. I nod my head. "I understand, mother, father" I speak to them with respect as the tears are pricking the corners of my eyes but I do not allow them to fall.

"You may leave now" My father says to me and once again I bow down on my knees and then quickly stands up and turn around. Walking with my head high out of the throne room and into the hallways I put up a smile to hide all the feelings inside as I walk the hallways. The emotions inside me do not matter when my kingdom needs me and I will do whatever it takes to make sure my kingdom survives for I am its future Queen. My bedroom is comforting when I walk inside and close the door behind me.

Letting out a breath that I did not know I was holding in as I hold back the tears that threaten to fall down from my eyes but I do not allow them to as I am stronger and I am stronger than this. Wanting nothing more than to break down but I am not going to for I know I can do this. A knock on the door breaks me from my thoughts and I collect myself and face the door. "Come in" I speak and the doors open and my maid comes inside. I smile at her.

"Your highness, at your parents request I am to go with you" She says as she bows her head down in respect of me and I smile to her and nod my head. "Good, when shall we be leaving?" I ask her and she lifts her head to look at me. "At first light" She answers and once again I nod. "Then you may pack" I tell her and she bows her head again at my request and she goes on with it, taking the dresses out of my closet and all the things that I will need while I watch outside the window.

My kingdom stands the proudly as I watch from the window of my bedroom which faces the citadel but beyond the castle walls is the lower towns and the villages where I can see people living their lives and some even chatting and laughing amongst one another which only puts a smile on my face. "Your highness, shall you be needing your jewelry?" My maid asks me and I turn around to face her with a soft smile on my face. "Yes, and please take my crowns as well. I am to be presented before we are wed and we must make sure I am what the King wants" I tell her.

Though the words may betray my heart in ways that I do not want, but I do not have a choice in the matter. This is my duty to my family and my kingdom and I must do it. "As you wish" She answers and then bows her head as she continues on and I turn back around to face the kingdom that will soon belong to me and my future husband. Watching the kingdom in all its glory makes me happy and the smile on my face shows it.

Minutes pass before I remove my eyes from the window and turn around to see that she is almost finished and I shall have to face everything soon yet I do know that I will be all right. I head out of my room and into the hallways where I walk towards the carriage that has been prepared for me to take me to his kingdom where I shall be living. It breaks my heart to leave the kingdom that I love with everything that I am and it breaks me apart to have to say farewell.

My parents are waiting by the carriage and I walk over to them and bow down my head. My mother hugs me which I happily return. "If there was another way you would not be doing this" She whispers to me and I nod, knowing that she did her best to stop this. I smile to her when we break the hug, a reassuring smile. "Father" I say to him in respect and he nods and then he helps me into the carriage where I get myself comfortable. "Safe travels" My mother says and I smile to her. The carriage then begins to move by the horses that pull it and I am off to the adventure that lies before me.