Chapter Four

reminiscent

All through my intro to geography class, I kept thinking about Jason. I knew it was stupid. But it had only been three weeks since our fight and eventual break up.

How could you do this to us?

To us? Nate, if you hadn't noticed, we haven't really been us in a while.

Because you've been fucking someone else!

Because I'm bored of you!

The raucous snapping of textbooks jolted me out of my thoughts. I glanced around, realizing that there was already a line at the door to the small lecture hall, people waiting to get out and on their way.

I turned to the guy next to me who was just shoving his notebook in his bag. "Excuse me, did he say what the reading assignment was?"

The guy scoffed, sending a glare off to where the professor stood, and said, "Yeah, like eight times."

"Shit," I mumbled.

"1.8 through 1.20," the guy said, smirking at me. He had green eyes that looked familiar. I was sure I'd seen him somewhere. "Good luck, man."

Then he was walking away. I quickly jotted down the assignment and organized my stuff before tossing it all in my bag. By the time I was walking out the door, the room was empty save for the middle-aged professor at the front. He waved and I returned it awkwardly. I wondered if he noticed me not paying attention and felt guilty in case he had.

I ran into Harley a block from our building and threw an arm over his shoulders in greeting.

"How's it going?" I asked. I hadn't seen him since the night before.

He shrugged me off. I recognized the frustration on his face. Dante. "What happened?"

"Nothing," Harley snapped, quickening his pace as we approached the steps. I fobbed us in and he took off for the elevator. "Meet you in five."

I sighed but let it go, walking to my room and quickly unlocking the door. Noel wasn't there. I dropped my stuff and turned to my wardrobe, dragging out my shorts, shoes, and a sleeveless top that had wide holes for the arms.

I pulled my shirt off and shimmied out of my jeans. As I reached for my shorts, the lock jiggled and the door flew open behind me. I barely had a chance to register Noel barging in, his lips plastered to those of a petite redhead, before the door slammed into my back, shoving me into the wardrobe with a loud clatter and startled groan from me.

I peeked around the door to see Noel drop the girl who had her arms around his neck onto his bed, the aqua sheets a bright contrast to her hair. Noel met my dumbfounded gaze with his own of shock and then said, "Hey...Nat. I didn't think you'd be here."

I opened and closed my mouth. My back was sore from the door handle and I realized I was standing there nearly naked. The girl smiled sheepishly at me, her beautifully-freckled face flushed from kissing my roommate.

"Sorry," I blurted. I quickly grabbed my things and turned to the open door. "I'm gonna go. Sorry, bye."

I closed the door heavily behind me, heart pounding and unable to believe this had happened again.

When I heard the lock flip over behind me, I hoped this wasn't going to become a regular occurrence.

"Yo, what are you doing, Nate?" Harley called from the opposite end of the hallway.