twelve

It was the first time they were watching a movie together in an actual theater

It was the first time they were watching a movie together in an actual theater. They had to show up late when the only lights shown were from the screen because there was a smaller chance someone would recognize Tony in the dark.

They sat next to each other and ate popcorn, eyes focused on the screen. He didn't attempt any moves on her, and she pretended she didn't want him to.

There were no rowdy teenagers to interrupt the movie, so they watched in peace, even with the slightly sticky armrests and seats that squeaked at the slightest movement.

Tony didn't date women. He had tried to in the past, but it involved too much commitment and time, of which he wasn't used to. Having one night stands were more of his style.

Novalyn was the first real friend he made and he enjoyed their time together because there was never a dull moment with her. She brightened up his life, figuratively and literally since her rainbow jumpsuits always stood out and were an eyesore.

Dare he say that watching a movie together in the dark was a date? Because he wouldn't, but it didn't matter because it seemed like a date.

"Sydney Walsh is pretty," informed Novalyn. "Are you more a Sydney Walsh or Lori Petty kind of boy?"

"I'm a man," he corrected as they left the movie theater.

She shot him an unimpressed look. "Uh-huh. My ma would say a thing or two about that statement."

"You know, that's not very nice."

"Guess you're rubbing off on me. I should see a therapist," she retorted.

"Now you're just rude."

She smiled at him before grabbing his hand and swinging their arms together. "So what's the plan? We doin' somethin' else or am I droppin' you off?"

He shrugged, glancing down at their intertwined hands. "Too boring if I just go home. Let's go back to the field."

"The one I took you to when I met you? Okay, city boy. Maybe you are turning into a country boy."

He made a noise of disgust. "If I do, take the Démesures off my feet and hit me in the head with them."

She rolled her eyes. "Drama queen. That's what you are. Did you know that?"

"Born and raised. Point Break was good. I hope they don't make a sequel because sequels don't even compare to the originals," informed Tony.

"You should become a movie critic."

"Maybe. Not like I'm taking over the company for a long time. My old man's still kicking," he said.

"Don't say that. You'll jinx it."

He shrugged. "Whatever."

"Karma's a thing, you know?" she questioned.

"Good. Then, he'll get what's coming."

She sighed. "You're stubborn."

"And you look like a unicorn barfed on you. Seriously, how many rainbow patterns do you own?"

She smiled. "A lot."

"