fourteen

Novalyn's life came crashing down

Novalyn's life came crashing down. With one single call from the only doctor in the outskirts where she grew up, Novalyn was in tears. Her mother had brain cancer.

She called Tony immediately, and he was shocked to receive a call from her since she normally called when he wasn't in class.

Of course, being the nonchalant person he was, he stepped out of class without an excuse and picked up the call.

She was sobbing when she picked up, and when he heard the only words he could decipher from her blabbering, he bought a plane ticket back to New York. Before boarding the plane, he messaged her to meet at their spot.

September had just started and Novalyn was already tired of it. She was studying to become a nurse because she wanted to help people and provide for her mother. Now, her mother would be knee-deep in hospital bills, and if she passed and the will went to Novalyn, she would inherit the hospital bills.

As soon as she soon Tony waiting for her in their spot - Jarvis left him there after he ordered him to - she ran straight into him and hugged him.

He was never one for hugs since he didn't grow up with very affectionate parents. His mother only hugged him when his father made him upset.

"Hey, Novalyn," he whispered, pressing his palm on the back of her head as she buried her face in his chest.

She sobbed, hands clutching his t-shirt. It had only been a month since they last saw each other, but she needed him badly. He was her closest friend. She had picked up strays on the street before, but they left when their fun was over. Tony was the only one who stayed with her.

"It's okay," he reassured. "I'll be with you every step of the way."

And he would be. He would even drop out of school for her. He was supposed to graduate three years ago anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference. Novalyn's sanity was more important to him.

 Novalyn's sanity was more important to him