sixteen

November rolled by, and Evelyn's health was deteriorating

November rolled by, and Evelyn's health was deteriorating. She decided to invite Tony over for a country-style Thanksgiving dinner, which was more of a barbecue with guests.

Tony didn't normally celebrate Thanksgiving with his family since his father was too busy and his mother occasionally had her own work. Usually, he would eat dinner with Jarvis who had no children of his own.

He brought Jarvis along with him for Evelyn's barbecue. Novalyn has been at the farmhouse since the night before, helping her mother cook and bake, even though the guests would bring their own food as well.

They were all friends of Evelyn from the town, and some of them watched Novalyn grow up before the divorce.

"Tony!" exclaimed Novalyn as she threw her arms around his neck. "Took ya long enough!"

He chuckled, resting his hand on her back. "Hope your mom wasn't waiting for too long."

"Nah, my ma's friends are here and she's keepin' busy." She looked over to Jarvis. "Novalyn Speegle."

"Jarvis," he replied, bowing slightly.

"Englishman," scoffed Tony. "Don't pay him too much attention."

"So we have country people, a city boy, and an Englishman. Sounds like a helluva barbecue," said Novalyn.

She grabbed Tony's hand and dragged him into the backyard, looking over her shoulder to make sure Jarvis was following them.

The barbecue was spent in good company. The moon was bright and there were fairy lights around the backyard. There was the occasional chicken squabbles in the pen, which Tony found highly entertaining for some reason.

"Stop bothering Gloria," said Novalyn.

He looked up from teasing the chicken with his index finger. "Gloria's my gal. She loves me!" He quickly retracted his finger when she tried to hit it.

"Clearly, she doesn't. She's pregnant. Leave her be before she poops on you."

He wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Gross. Ever helped with the birth?"

"Course," she replied. "You're not a country person if you haven't helped an animal with a birth."

"Would you ever consider going on a date with me?" he questioned.

He couldn't help himself. Their conversations with each other were so simple and easygoing that every moment seemed like a good moment to ask.

"If you asked real nicely," she retorted, unfazed by the bluntness of his question. "Thought you didn't date."

"I don't really, but I'm always around you anyway."

"Sounds like we're better off as friends," she said. "Who knows? Let's leave that date for the far future."

He hummed and nodded. "I'll ask again tomorrow."

She sighed, but smiled. "I wouldn't expect anything less."

"