Chapter 3 - Day 2 At Walmart

Simon and Theodore rose out of bed early, before their dreadful alarm would blare into their ears. It said 5:54. It would wake up Alvin in 6 minutes. Theodore turned on the TV. The News lady was talking about new workers at a local Walmart.

"This Walmart has new workers, but they aren't humans." The News Lady was saying through the TV. Pictures of the new Walmart workers working were shown.

"WHAT?" Alvin shouted as he went out of his room, so loudly the Chipettes could hear. "They have no right to show us like that!" They watched the rest of the news, and noticed most pictures have their faces blurred.

"These workers will stay anonymous unless they grant permission."

"This isn't going to end well," Simon muttered.

Alvin was driving the Bender Brothers scooter. "I am so bored," He sang to Simon and Theodore.

They sang, "We are so bored," back to him.

They got to work and saw the management. Once the Chipettes came into Walmart, they were assigned new jobs. The new jobs were written on a piece of paper by employees. Jeanette read out the Chipmunks's jobs, and Simon read the Chipettes's jobs. Simon's voice went enthusiastic when he called out Jeanette's name.

"I hope your job is doing great," Said Eleanor to Theodore.

"Same for you," Theodore replied back, as Simon was saying the Chipettes's names. Did I read it right? Simon thought as he was going to Cash Register #2.

Jeanette asked, "Is there something wrong with Brittany?"

"Nope," Simon told Jeanette. "She's just avoiding the cheese. It has been happening yesterday too."

Alvin picked up a couple items on the floor of the Electronics Department. "Why did I get this job?" He sighed as he picked up the items.

This job was boring and too hard for Alvin. This would be a better job for Simon. He saw Theodore at the bakery, licking his lips. Alvin thought, Why would he get that job? He'd eat everything anyway. There was a long lineup near the bakery section so people could meet Theodore. Alvin then realized two things. One, that soon a bunch of fans would be looking for Alvin in Walmart, and two, that Alvin could play on the devices they had. That was one big advantage. Since Alvin was bored, he decided to go get an iPad. He downloaded a ton of fantastic apps and started to play it. It would get his mind off of the struggle of working at Walmart as a Chipmunk. But then, he kept playing it, and playing it, and playing it, and rarely glanced at the bakery where Theodore was working. Someone tapped Alvin on the shoulder.

"Stop playing. Do your job," The worker told Alvin as he sat in the chair.

Simon was looking around. There were more people that came into the store than yesterday, maybe about 40 more. Jeanette was staring at him. Should I stare back? Simon asked himself in thought. So, he did that as he was working. After Simon served 8 customers, the next person smirked, an evil smirk. He was probably the one who told the news about this for the chipmunks to get tired out and not be able to sing at a concert they are supposed to go to in Toronto. But Simon kept working, no matter how much that smirk that scared him in his head kept popping out. He may have heard someone talking about Him and Jeanette being a match made in Heaven. Things at Walmart just got a bit scarier. Simon often looked at Eleanor, and Brittany. Eleanor wasn't having much of a hard time, as being a greeter was an easy job. Brittany just hated the cheese at the deli as it smelled bad to her.

Simon and Theodore were looking at the people that were looking at all the departments to find Alvin. Suddenly, someone looked in the Electronics section and saw Alvin.

"I FOUND ALVIN!" someone with a high pitched voice yelled. A bunch of the girls squealed, and most of the ones in line went out of line so they could rush to Alvin.

It was awfully quiet in the neighbourhood when the Chipmunks were driving the scooter back home. There weren't many cars out there.

Simon looked sad, Theodore and Alvin had noticed. "What's wrong?" Theodore asked.

After 30 seconds, Simon replied, "There's nothing wrong, I think you're just looking at my regular face."

Simon was reading a book. He always knew books made him feel better. He heard Theodore get out a bag of cookies with the cream in the middle. Maybe that's what makes Theodore feel better, Simon thought. He was reading a How To Cope with Stress book, which he had randomly picked up off the floor and read it. He checked the clock. Oh no! He had lost track of time. It was 8:29. So Simon shut off the light, and went to bed. He needed his rest to get up at 5:00 in the morning. He laid in bed listening to Alvin and Theodore watch a scary movie.

Alvin was watching a movie called Milky Silk, about a monster who eats a girl's hair. Theodore was creeped out about it. And then Theodore looked at the time. It was 9 minutes since Simon checked the time, and it was 8:38.

"I'm getting tired," Theodore sighed with a yawn.

"Okay then," Alvin muttered, not paying any attention to Theodore. He was so interested in this movie. Theodore put back the cookies into the cupboard and went up to their bedroom.

Theodore tried to ask Simon. Theodore started, "Uh, Si-," "oh, he's asleep," Theodore whispered when he realized.

But Simon didn't respond, so Theodore assumed he was sleeping. Theodore tried to sleep but the horrible frightening sounds bothered him. But at 9:00, the movie ended, Alvin switched the television off and went off to bed quietly as he saw his brothers sleeping peacefully in their beds.