Chapter 16

August 7th

His apartment was crowded when she arrived for dinner. There were people Annabeth was unfamiliar with and people she barely recognised, but she couldn't see Percy. Spotting a familiar face, she headed towards where Grover was sat.

There was a girl beside him with straight, strawberry blonde hair so long that it gathered a little on the seat of the couch behind her. She had a small, upturned nose and large, brown eyes. Annabeth guessed that she would be quiet petite but it was hard to tell from the hoodie she was drowning in.

"Annabeth, hey, this is Juniper." Grover smiled and patted down the seat beside him for her to join. "Percy will be glad you could make it."

The atmosphere was a little overwhelming so Annabeth settles to nod at Grover and have a look around. She recognises Estelle, Sally and Paul from the tea party she'd attended a few weeks ago. Estelle is wearing a skirt with two mermaid fins at the bottom and a top with the 'Finding Nemo' logo and various fish stitched onto it. Vaguely recalling when Percy had mentioned his and Estelle's obsession with sea life, Annabeth isn't surprised to spot the shells and starfishes on Estelle's headband. Sally waves in her direction and Annabeth lifts her hand in response.

Stood with the Blofis family is a boy with floppy, blonde hair and freckles and an older man with a cane. The elder of the two has a rather impressive beard and thin framed glasses, but he smiles kindly at Estelle as she dances at his feet, so Annabeth decides he must be friendly.

Grover and Juniper let her in on their conversation on the effects of climate change and their fast food preferences. Sure enough, the topics entwine rather well and Grover holds a good debate as to why enchiladas are the most eco friendly fast food item and should be replacing every McDonalds.

"So, where are they?" Annabeth asks after 20 minutes of making polite chatter.

"Oh, The Halfbloods?" Asks Grover. When she hums, he explains. "There'll be here soon. This happens every year when they release their first single. They're in the studio the day of the release tweaking everything they can before the public hear it."

"I'd give them another 10 before they burst through the door." The blonde boy joins in, offering Annabeth a tentative smile. "I'm Will, Nico's boyfriend."

Sally mutters something to Paul and the two of them share a knowing smile.

Sure enough, the door swings open and in marches the three of them. Thalia looks like she didn't get dressed this morning and is wearing a pair of loose fitted, maroon sweatpants and a Green Day shirt that looks to have seen better days. Nico is dressed casually in a pair of black, ripped jeans with chains hung from the belt loops and an aviators jacket that looks a few sizes to big. And Percy... His blue jeans are faded and ripped, though unintentionally, and his shirt is tight. Annabeth pretends not to notice the way it stretches over his shoulders and across his torso but Will catches her staring and whispers in her ear.

"It's okay, I was the same with Nico last year." Her head snaps up to meet Will's eyes. Is she being that obvious? "It gets easier when you can do this."

She doesn't have time to ask what 'this' is before Will has waltzed over to Nico and they're kissing. Or maybe it's a full blown make out session. Annabeth looks away, not wanting to invade their privacy.

"Hey, you." Percy's voice over her shoulder makes her jump. "Glad you could make it."

"Of course, I couldn't miss this."

They're so close. His hand catches her hip when she turns to look at him and her skin feels hot under the thin t-shirt. Annabeth can see his adams apple swallow hard and when she looks at him she has to tip her head back. She glances at his lips before his eyes but that's only because of the angle making them so close to her face, right?