Chapter 31

December 4th

"With us at the moment, we have The Halfbloods!" Persephone, the new Olympus News front woman, spoke loudly over the hoards of fans. "You're in for a treat, ladies and gentlemen. Nico, Can you tell us what we're going to hear from you tonight?"

A microphone is shoved in Nico's face and he splutters a little before clearing his throat and talking through their set list.

Times Square was packed with clusters of people all here for the broadcast. The cold air nipped at Percy's ears and he rubbed his hands together to stop his fingers going numb. It would be a tough performance in this weather, but the crowd would love it. There was something so exhilarating about performing outside like this. Perhaps it was something to do with being able to perform all out without melting under stage lights before you've even started, or maybe he would chalk it down to knowing that the whole world could be listening. Yes, he knew that was scientifically impossibly because of the speed of sound waves and something about air particles (Annabeth had tried explaining it one time) but that didn't have to stop him from giving this performance his everything.

It was only a measly little showcase used to advertise their tour, but having not performed live since London over six month ago, it felt like a debut all over again.

They begin with a few revamped Christmas songs they released on December 1st. It felt strange to be singing about sweet, baby Jesus alongside a heavy bass and a rock and roll drum line - especially because none of them are particularly religious - but it's all part of the job.

Percy takes a long swig from a bottle of water between songs, thankful that Thalia was taking the lead and singing Blood of the Earth. It gave him an opportunity to get his breath back while focusing on the guitar which kept his fingers warm from movement. He catches a glimpse of Will and Grover in the window of the nearest Starbucks. Percy cursed the fact that they were sheltered in the warmth of the cafe while the band had to be out here freezing to death in little more than a t-shirt and jeans in order to keep up their punk reputation. Apparently coats didn't fit the dress code.

The set ends with a strangely upbeat rendition of Carol of the Bells before the three of them wave to the crowds and dash into the tent they were using as backstage. Silena is sat, knees tucked against her chest, on a wooden bench, but she straightens as they enter and is quick to help fix Thalia's smudged makeup. Packing up his guitar, Percy catches sight of one of their tech crew helping Nico out of his headset.

The guy is broad shouldered and a head taller Percy. Despite the fact that he looked like the human embodiment of the Hulk, he doesn't look at all intimidating because of the rosey blush that decorated his nose and cheeks when he was caught smiling at Silena as she worked. He helps detach Percy's mic pack from where it's strapped around his waist.

"Silena, huh? You must be Charlie." Percy says quietly, recalling the conversations between Silena and Drew that he often zones out of.

As he tucks the sound equipment into a box, he clears his throat. "The names Charles Beckendorf." His voice is deep. "Does Silena, uh... Does she talk about me a lot?" Charles' rich, mahogany complexion is engulfed in a pink blush but Percy just smirks.

They sit for a few minutes as Silena works on their faces, wiping off the sweat that had built up from the performance and powdering them down to make them each look more presentable. Someone throws a shirt in his direction so Percy switches, grateful that the new one is freshly dried and still warm. It's a short lived relief but it manages to take the edge of the biting wind.

"Ready for round two?" Thalia asks, thumping his back much harder than should be considered friendly.

Round two turns out to be another twenty minute interrogation with Persephone, though Percy finds himself thanking the heavens that it's her and not Hera. He didn't want to deal with her judging sneer again. Obviously, they discuss the ablum and the tour and Nico is bombarded with questions about Will (who recently posted a photo of the two of them in a sunflower field and aparently that's code for 'we're getting married!') which he awkwardly shrugged off. When Annabeth is brought up, he's had more than enough time to prepare.

"Big things to come from yourself and Miss Chase. I take it you're going to be there for her opening night?" Persephone smiles sweetly, though Percy can't help but wonder if it's genuine.

"I hope so," He chuckles to be rid of his nerves. "Waitress is my moms favorite show so I'm planning to get tickets and go with her."

Persephone nods, her purple eyeshadow shimmering under the harsh, white streetlights. "That sounds nice. And then you'll be off on your own tour. Can we expect Annabeth to make any guest appearances?"

All eyes turn to Nico, sitting there with a dazed smile on his face. Percy thinks he must be remembering the time where Will joined them onstage one time to be serenaded.

"I'm not too sure. Annabeth's obviously going to be busy on stage when we start touring and we're still not certain how long her run will last."

"The fans can only hope." Persephone let out an airy laugh before turning to speak to Thalia.

They finish up pretty quickly after that and are ushered back into their tent. Clearly not expecting them back so soon, Silena and Charles pull away from each other suddenly, both bright red. Thalia scoffs, vocalising her annoyance than everyone seemed to be pairing off but no one paid her any mind.

Grover waits by a cab with Percy's favorite s'mores frap. It looks a little dejected as the whipped cream seemed to have sunk but that won't make it taste anything less that heavenly.

"So," Grover elbows him in the ribs as they drive of to their apartment. "Christmas is just around the corner. Have you got your gifts sorted?"

In their ten years of friendship, Grover seemed to be the one that kept them both on track with this kind of thing. He never forgot a birthday, he always made sure to check in on people and he was the first person Percy would go to for advice. It made sense that Grover would check in on any presents Percy had planned, especially after the one year when he had very nearly bought Thalia a skydiving experience.

When he pouted at Grover's question, the answer was obvious enough.

"Okay, so that's a no. Who's causing the trouble?"

Their journey was filled with discussions as to what gifts he should and shouldn't get. Apparently buying Piper earplugs was "inappropriate" and "not to be joked about". A few ideas got the nod of approval, a vinyl for Nico and the complete modern Shakespeare collection told entirely through emojis and text talk for Paul. Of course, Sally was getting Waitress tickets, but she already knew about those so Percy planned to buy a bracelet charm too.

"I'm stuck with Annabeth, man." He sighed, watching the lights outside blur as they drove down the street. "I want it to be special, but the relationship's still so new. A promise ring seems a bit cliche."

Grover shrugged. "I don't know what to tell you, Perce, you know her better than I do. Try something practical. If it's crap you could always get her a good Broadway debut present to make up for it."

The conversation ended abruptly when Percy started pestering Grover, trying to find out what presents he had bought for everyone. It was a recurring scenario in which he never got any answers, but he chuckled at Grover's panic anyway. He made a mental note to add the coupons to that enchilada place that he had accumulated into Grover's present as an extra thank you for putting up with him for yet another year.