Chapter 46 - The Commencement

The two bucks continued their way up the tower. The knife in Ichi's hand didn't make Louis feel much better about this "commencement", and the fact that he had stopped talking.
"So what are we going to do?" Louis asked.
"You..." Ichi turned to him slowly as they proceeded along. "Are going to give what every member of the Branded has given. It isn't much."
"That sounds ominous. Should I be worried. I'm not even really sure I'm a true member..."
"That four on your foot doesn't lie, but this will make it final. You're a smart deer, right? I think you can figure it out. You noticed what we all wear around our necks."
"Ichi...I don't know about this."
Ichi stopped and turned around, glaring. "What?"
"I mean...everyone is nice and all, but..."
Ichi sighed. "I think I was quite clear about you joining not being up to you. I need you, therefore, you're joining us. I'm letting you go home, still, shouldn't that be enough?"
"But...I don't want to fight carnivores...I love them."
"Even the ones that stole our childhoods away? The ones that see herbivores as mere food and nothing more? The carnivores that turned this part of the city into a celebration of their own depravity? You love those carnivores too?" Ichi was breathing heavily at the end of his rant.
"Carnivores can change, Ichi! They're just confused! They aren't taught that we have instincts, too!"
"The crime syndicates back here don't follow their instincts. They follow money. They've abandoned any shred of redemption long ago. You haven't seen what I have, Shi! You haven't lived back here, not truly! You have no idea what you're talking about because you only hang around one carnivore who happens to not eat you!"
"Bill doesn't try and eat me!"
"I don't know who the fuck that is." Ichi turned and continued on. "It doesn't matter. You know what will happen if you try and back out. And you'll thank me when you see the true nature of carnivores in the black market."
"...The hell I will."
"Tell you what. Stick around and try and prove me wrong. Maybe you'll prefer it that way."
"Well, whatever happens, I'm not going to fight a carnivore."
"That's what we have our other members for. Just know you may need to defend yourself if it comes to it." With a huff, Ichi marched faster up the steps.
Louis sighed. "This is how it's going to be, huh?"
"Seems so. It's clear we grew into two very different people."
"Ugh...Won't this be pleasant."
At long last, the two made it up to the top floor. The ceiling had partially caved in, causing light to flow in and highlight what appeared to be an altar made from the rubble. Some makeshift pews lay in front of it. Ichi marched over to an intercom on the wall and pressed a button. "Friends, this is Ichi. Shi's commencement is about to take place. Attendance is mandatory, as you know."
Louis stood, sighing. "And after this I can go home?"
"I want to discuss a few things with you and give you homework, but yes. Yes you can go home and play with your carnivore." Ichi seemed to spit the last word.
"Finally!" The deer clapped his hands together. "I've basically just been waiting this whole time."
Ichi rolled his eyes. "You do realize I'm going to have you come back here, correct? This isn't the one and only time you're coming here."
"I mean...I knew that."
Ichi walked to one of the pews and sat down. "The way you speak of him. It's like he's a drug you're addicted to."
"What? What do you mean?" Louis stayed standing, arms crossed.
"You've been gone what, an hour? And you're already acting like you're being deprived of air. Are you no longer a strong, autonomous herbivore? Has this carnivore devoured your very identity?" the other deer levied, piercing Louis with his emerald gaze.
"It's just a different feeling you wouldn't know. It's something called love."
Ichi grimaced. "Don't you go preaching to me. The bond I have with my friends here is all I need to know of love."
"And yet you didn't tell them I fucking have a carnivore husband? Now Go is all offended and I made a bad first impression because of you."
"A bad first impression is to be expected when you have a relationship like that. You should have kept it to yourself. I expected you were going to but...even I am wrong sometimes."
"Clearly."
Footsteps were heard from the stairwell and Ichi stood, walking over to the makeshift stage. The members all filed in, giving glances to Louis as they passed. Everyone looked at him warily except for San, who grinned at him and clapped him on the shoulder as he passed.
Go walked in with his arms raised over his head. "Alright, let's get this over with so Mr. Carni Lover can get the fuck out of here."
Louis raised a brow. "Yeesh."
Ichi cleared his throat. "I understand that Shi was not what anyone here was expecting, and that makes sense. He will bring the Branded a fresh view of the world, as we will bring our view to him in turn. After all, he is still a herbivore, and one that shared in the pain of myself, San, and Kyuu. Every animal processes that pain differently. I have no doubt in my mind that Shi will soon show what he has to offer us." The buck walked behind the rubble-made podium. "Now, Shi, please walk forward."
Louis sighed, moving slowly.
He could feel the stares of all the other animals on him as he walked forward. He heard a whispered 'good luck!' from San.
Everyone sat in an arc behind him, staying completely silent. Even Go, who wanted to ask him how the fuck he could even think to feel something like that for a carnivore.
Ichi reached down and pulled out his knife once more when Louis stopped in front of him. He also produced a vial similar to the ones they all wore around their neck. This one, however, was not filled with blood, but rather a small amount of a clear liquid.
"Hold out a hand, Shi."
"Are you about to cut my hand?"
"Correct. I'd suggest your non-dominant hand."
"I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that."
"Would you prefer I cut somewhere else?" Ichi asked with a tinge of sarcasm.
"How about your own hand? It's still blood."
Ichi stiffened, pure rage seething beneath his face.
"Wow, is this kid really the deer Ichi thinks he is?" Roku leaned over to whisper to Go.
Go crossed his arms. "He's food, if you ask me."
"I could snap his little twig legs without a thought," the horse scoffed. "And now he's crying about a little cut."
Ichi took a deep breath. "Shi...the entire point...is to have your own blood...in the vial. Now, you can offer your hand willingly or I will have you held down while I extract it."
"I'm not crying. I just think if I'm here against my will and you need me oh so badly, I shouldn't have to do it."
Go scoffed. "Ugh. He's acting like he's special now? Ichi, you really fucked up with this one."
Their leader stepped aside and addressed them. "We original Branded have a duty to cleanse this vile place! Sure, Shi was corrupted by society and blinded to the evils of carnivores, the same evils he himself was a victim of as a child and still is a victim of today. He is here for reeducation! So I expect you all to be patient with him!"
"I am not a victim of shit, besides some psychopath who took my eye out! But that's not because he was a carnivore. He was just insane! The other two there didn't even really want to eat me!"
"Excuses," Ichi sighed. He turned to Louis. "I've given you many chances to go about this with dignity, but I feel you leave me no choice."
Louis blinked.
In what seemed like an instant, dark tendrils enveloped his view, blocking out the entire room and filling his vision with darkness, although he could still see his own body.
The deer stared forward. "What..."
Out of the darkness, a floating, bloody deer skull inched forward, accompanied by sharp ringing in his ears. He felt a stinging sensation on his left hand but he couldn't move to check on it. He was petrified.
"Ngghh..." Louis winced.
All at once, the darkness receded and Ichi was back in front of him, holding a vial of blood hanging from a necklace. In his other hand was the bloodied butterfly knife. There were murmurs from the audience.
"Wow, I've never seen him use his chimera on an herbivore before!" San commented.
Louis frowned. "How dare you!"
"You're lucky." Ichi shoved the necklace into Louis' hands and turned to the others. "You may all go."
"What if I just throw it on the ground and it shatters?"
Go groaned. "It never ends with this fucker!"
The others stood up, but hesitated to leave.
Ichi tilted his head at Louis and flipped the knife around in his hand, flecking blood everywhere. "Then I waltz over to that shithole you call a home and I gut the wolf! I don't want to keep bringing it up but his life is on the line here!"
"Fuck you," Louis hissed.
"Yes, and fuck you, too, you snot-nosed spoiled brat," Ichi spat back.
"I'm not spoiled. I'm just right."
"You were raised in a mansion by a billionaire, while we grew up in an orphanage. Try again."
"It wasn't exactly a luxury. It was just another box."
Ichi looked away, staring at the group still in the room. Just his gaze alone got them to leave in a hurry. Once they were gone, he sighed and rubbed his eyes with his hands.
"Is this going to be another box, too?" Louis asked.
"Only if you let it. Here, follow me and I'll wrap up your hand." Ichi walked out of the room.
The buck sighed. "Well, thanks for...assaulting me with your blade, I guess."
"You're welcome."
"Ugh. I can't wait to deal with more of this. I'm lucky I'm getting paid."
"Precisely," Ichi replied, dryly. They descended the steps and walked down a hallway, eventually ending up in a room seemingly filled with supplies, from first aid kits, to ammo, to strange masks. Ichi opened up one of the first aid kits.
Louis stood, looking around. "Mm..."
"You see those masks that look like carnivores?" Ichi asked, taking out a bandage roll.
"Sure." He held his bloody hand out.
Ichi went to work, wrapping it up. "They come from a secret party that's held on the outskirts of the black market. It's a ball where every attendee wears a mask to cover their species, allowing them to mingle without any societal expectations. You probably think that sounds like the best thing ever."
"I hope I can bring Legosi, then."
"I didn't even say you had to attend it," Ichi grumbled as he finished dressing Louis' wound. "But yes, the next step for you is retrieving a mask from that party. We all wear one when we're out on missions. It's easier than making them and it's become a sort of initiation for the members."
He cleared his throat and walked over to where the masks were displayed. "As for bringing your...well, I think he might want to know why you're stealing a mask from there, since you're supposed to return them after attending."
"Wait, I have to steal it, illegally? Are you serious?"
Ichi shrugged. "The party is already illegal. It's no big deal."
Louis looked at his eyes, searching them.
"...What?"
"Just...looking."
"They're natural." Ichi looked away. "The next party is going to be held Wednesday at 8 PM. Go in, get your mask, and get out. Bring the wolf, if you must, but don't tell him what's going on, obviously."
"Another thing. What's wrong with you? Why are you so..." Louis gestured with his hands.
Ichi side-eyed him. "I can ask you the same thing. But you aren't going to answer me, so neither will I."
"There's nothing wrong with me. Interspecies marriage is how it should be."
Ichi gawked. "Really? For every single animal? Every child, a hybrid, and every herbivore spouse, a midnight snack? You live in a fantasy world, Shi!"
"It should just be an option! And it's Louis!"
"Interspecies marriage is already fucking legal, Louis!"
"Then why do I get so much shit for it, huh?"
"Because you didn't actually get married, for one, and secondly, most animals have common sense!" Ichi whipped around and walked away. "I can't deal with you anymore today. Get your mask and come back the next day. You know what will happen if you don't."
"We will get married and prove you wrong," Louis hissed.
"Sure thing, Louis. Now leave."
He stayed, standing still. "You never told me what your problem is."
"My problem is dealing with blind animals such as yourself," Ichi growled. "My problem is my childhood was torn away from me! My problem is you doing your best to be a thorn in my side when all I want to do is help you!"
"By fucking threatening my husband? Some help you are."
"Tough love," Ichi stated, simply. "Now leave. Oh, but first..." He took the necklace with the vial of blood back. "Don't want your wolf seeing this. Now go."
Louis scoffed, huffing and turning away. He began leaving, but along the way, Go and Ni found him. "Hey, Shi."
The deer turned around. "What do you want?"
The red panda held up a gloved hand with metal claws. "I don't know who you think you are, but here, you're nothing. Ichi may think you're special and maybe you are, but so far all you are is a complete ass to our leader."
Louis crossed his arms. "Because—"
"You better keep your mouth shut and follow orders or we will pay a visit to your wolf ourselves. We all know where you live," Ni spoke, curtly, holding up a sickle. "I am called The Reaper for a reason. You don't want to find out why."
Go smiled. "And I guarantee you we will revel in every bloody second we drain the life from that fucking carni."
Louis sighed. "...Okay."
Go moved forward and pushed him, Louis feeling the tip of the claws poking him. "Now get out of here."
The deer turned around and, being threatened even deeper into submission, made his way out of the tower.
The entire trip down felt akin to a walk of shame. In the lobby he heard a voice call out. "Hey! Louis?"
The deer turned to see San running up to him. "What now?"
The alpaca flinched and backed off. "H-hey. It's okay, I'm not gonna do anything. Just...making sure you're alright after...all of that."
"...No. I'm not fine." He looked down at his bandaged hand. "When do I have to wear that stupid necklace?"
San looked down. "Oh, Ichi didn't give it to you? I guess that makes sense, since that would look suspicious to your husband. We usually wear them all the time and refill them when the blood dries out. We fill it with a solution that keeps it for around two weeks, though."
"So we have to cut ourselves more? Great."
"Yeah..." The alpaca's body drooped. "I...I really don't like how this turned out, Louis. I was all excited to have you here but it seems like everybody just turned against you. It sucks because I like to think of us as friends but...that was just when we were kids. I wish you could see what Ichi wants to accomplish for the black market but..." San didn't finish the thought, instead sighing.
"I'm sorry. I'm just upset. Having my husband threatened...It hurts a lot. And knowing I'm going to be fighting carnivores makes my stomach feel funny."
San put a hand on his shoulder. "They're not all like the ones we saw earlier. Some are vile and make a profit off of the suffering of others. Some even sell carnivore parts as drugs!"
"Because society hasn't taught them that anything else is possible!"
The alpaca shrugged. "You have a point, but the mafia groups back here aren't going to turn back from their ways." His ear twitched as he leaned his head in closer. "Say, do you have a picture of your husband? I'd like to see what he looks like."
The buck took out his phone. "He's actually my wallpaper. I took this when he wasn't looking." He turned the phone around to reveal a picture of Legosi looking down with a small smile. He looked so perfectly soft and kind. How could anyone ever want to hurt him?
San was quiet for a moment. "He's a big one. He looks all scarred up?. What happened?"
"A lot...A lot. I love him more than anything. It just hurts me that his life is on the line."
San stared at the image on the screen. "He's never tried to eat you?"
"Only once...We did a lot of instinct training."
"Instinct training..." the taller herbivore repeated to himself.
"Yeah..."
"Well, do you need an escort home? I don't want you getting in trouble again."
"Isn't that dangerous?"
"It's more dangerous if you go alone! I'd only walk you to the entrance of the BAM," San explained, placing his hands behind his head.
"Why do you care?"
"Because you almost got eaten on the way here! I don't want you dying after we just got reunited again! I really do wanna be your friend!" San's voice was almost whiney sounding.
"How can I be friends with any of you? Go and Ni hate me and Roku even said he wants to snap my legs like twigs. If I'm going to work here, I should probably work alone."
San's ears flicked back as he looked away. "Well...if that's what you think is best. Just be careful on your way back."
"Sorry...I just...This all feels very wrong."
"I know. Ichi can be...intense, like I said before. But you'll see as time goes on. I promise." San offered him a small smile. "Keep that gun close to you as you go home. I'll see ya later." With that, the alpaca walked off.
"Wait! Wait! San!" Louis called.
San turned back, eyes wide. "Ya?"
"Maybe...I wouldn't mind some help. I'm sorry, I'm just on edge. But I would rather make it home to my wolf than die in the market."
San nodded and smiled with his teeth. "Alrighty, then. Let's get you home safe!"