Iwaizumi

Iwa turned the doorknob and pulled open the door. 

A smile spread across his face.

There stood his best friend, for the first time in what felt like decades. The same mussed hair, bright eyes, hesitant smile, sloping shoulders, prideful posture. He'd gotten taller. And he looked more tired than usual. But it was Tooru. Iwa forgot himself and tackled him with a hug.

Tooru made a little "oof" noise and stumbled back, blinking in surprise. Iwa squeezed and held on, smiling. Tooru gently hugged back. The volleyball fell forgotten to the wooden planks of the porch, and Iwa pulled away to chase after it. He grabbed it and stood up again. 

"Ahem. Sorry. I, uh, thanks for showing up!" He scratched the back of his head and grinned. Tooru shrugged. He pretended like it was nothing but Iwaizumi knew how much he missed volleyball. Tooru stood there for a moment, his gaze locked with Iwa's. Iwa couldn't tell exactly what emotion was hidden in his features, but as Tooru didn't look away he felt his face grow warm. 

"So... a three-on-three, huh?" Just like that, the moment was gone. Sly, annoying, pain-in-the-ass, good ol' Crappykawa was back. "Kindaichi told me how desperate you are to have me as your setter," said Tooru, smirking. Iwa knew it was fake. He played along anyway. 

"Yeah, right. Me, desperate? For Shittykawa? Come on, I think my mom's baking something. Wanna set a few in the back before everyone gets here?" He walked back in the house and heard a quiet chuckle from Tooru. 

Iwa sighed inwardly, relieved. He'd missed Tooru so much. He made a mental note to specially thank Kindaichi and Yahaba. He didn't know how they managed to do it, but they did. 

They walked past the kitchen island and behind it Iwa's mom gasped. "Tooru! Sweetie, it's been so long? What happened?" She hurried around the island and Iwaizumi rolled his eyes. Tooru smiled bashfully and looked at Iwa helplessly as his mom squeezed the life out of him. 

Iwa's mother, Akari, had always treated Tooru like her own son. Discipline and all. She was tall for a woman, but still a tad shorter than Iwa and Tooru. She was the strongest person Iwa knew, in more ways than one. And the prettiest, too. His mother was beautiful, with olive green eyes and straight dark hair that she kept long. 

"Put your bag down, make yourself comfortable! You sure have a lot of explaining to do. The sata andagi are almost ready. Tofu's in the back, I'm sure he's missed you, too. Once he smells you in here-" 

"Mom," Iwa sighed. She stopped where she was, her hands still on Tooru's arms, looking him over, being a mom. Tooru laughed. Iwa could see guilt in the depths of his eyes, and he wondered why. 

"Right, right, you came to play volleyball. Sorry, dear. but when it's time for the food break, I expect some answers!" Akari smiled and took Tooru's bag off of his shoulder. 

"Of course. I'm really sorry for staying away so long-"

"No, no apologies! Go catch up with Hajime. He can't shut up about you for one day, I'm sure you two have plenty of things to work out. " And with that, she turned back to the food. Iwa and Tooru shared a grin.