- 10 -

The Master teleported me back to my cell and shoved me against the wall as soon as we regained physical form. It didn't hurt much, since I was still transformed, but the Master's strength was obvious. When they left, I quickly discovered that the hole in my cell's magic-proofing was closed again. Though that was disappointing, I wasn't dwelling on it. I had no desire to go back to the plaza or the field. My back was exhausted from powering wings, and the Atva practice hadn't helped. Then, I remembered Anahid. Whoever he was, he had been silent for my last transformation.

Because you were busy.

I jumped and looked around the room with my beady eagle eyes, expecting to see someone, but I already knew that the room was utterly empty. The voice was in my head. Who are you? I thought.

Anahid, your arkaetre, and your only ally in this corrupted place. The voice paused pensively. You've been through a lot.

How do you know what's happened? You've only seen glimpses through my eyes in the field.

As a Dark arkaetre, I can see all of your thoughts. Our minds are linked.

So, what do you make of all this, Anahid?

Anahid shivered in my mind. Dark is bad. That is all I know for sure. Go back to your human form. You're sapping both my strength and yours by staying like this.

I sighed. All right. Merus