- 15 -

I made a sharp turn down a wider corridor. Anahid, what are we going to do?

Just keep going. I'll aid your strength, but fire a couple of bolts behind you when you're ready. The arkaetres were getting nearer, and both of us could hear them panting. From out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Dark magic shoot towards me and dove down another passageway, just missing the spell. Or now, now would be fine, Anahid said nervously.

The corridor began to widen even more, and I saw my chance. I began to take higher strides and jumped to get airborne, unfolding my wings. They just barely fit, and the tips ruffled against the metal walls, but it worked. I was flying. Now that my front talons were free, I reached down to light my symbol, but then remembered that I didn't need to as an arkaetre. "Atva!" I cried, sending as big an orb as I could manage down the hall behind me. That would slow them down a little.

After another minute or so, I stopped feeling the walls on my wingtips. Then I reached what appeared to be a dead end. Without knowing what else to do, I shoved against the wall with all my might. The hidden door, just as I had hoped, swung open like a giant gate, and I was blinded with rays of morning sun. The outside landscape was prairie-like, but in the distance, I saw a forest that seemed to go on for ages before reaching the mountain range that I'd often stared at from my cell.

"Siderion, stop!" It was Phari. I didn't know how, but it was her voice, and I had missed it desperately.

I turned around in astonishment. "Phari! How-" Then I saw the hate in her eyes and the urgency in her Dark body. It wasn't really Phari, and my mother wasn't really there either. She led a band of Dark arkaetres, and they were coming for me with teeth bared and nostrils flaring. I turned away and leaped for the sun. My wing rhythm was practiced now, and I started gliding just above the grass with ease.

I made the mistake of thinking I was safe. I felt a glancing blow of magic on my tail, and then another much stronger one against my side. It knocked the wind out of me, and I crowed in protest before giving up on flight and crashing into the dusty ground.

"Stop this nonsense." It was Phari's voice again, from above me. I stood and tried to lift back off, but my arkaetre form betrayed me. My strength had been nearly used up on my powerful wings, not to mention that I was debilitated from weeks in captivity. "You're needed here," Phari pleaded. "Come back."

I shook my head and watched Phari's Dark form circle me from above. "I'm not siding with anyone who possesses my family."

Phari landed beside me and neatly folded her wings. I could hear more flapping in the distance. "We've been spared our worry in this matter. Doesn't that make you happy?"

"Not if you're wrong."

"But we're not. The Kireveans only want equality. We were killed in millions in the past, we have a right to revenge and power for ourselves."

The ground was wet under my claws and paws. I wasn't sure if the moisture was sweat or blood, but I didn't move to look. The wings grew ever closer. "You're not Phari," I spat. "You're one of them."

More Dark arkaetres landed: another griffin and a dragon. "Come back with us," Hecatus's voice urged.

"You don't yet understand the ways of the world," the dragon intoned. The words puzzled me for a reason I couldn't quite grasp.

Anahid tensed. They're trying to lure you back willingly. Don't listen.

Another set of wings grew suddenly louder behind the dragon. I couldn't distinguish the new arkaetre's form at first. Though they were fairly small and humanlike, they had six wings holding them up, each at least twice the size of mine. I had never seen an arkaetre like that before. The angel-like figure grew closer at great speed and landed lightly next to the dragon, crossing their arms unhurriedly under their black cloak. The dragon spoke before the winged figure had a chance to. "The Kireveans have returned," he intoned.

That rang another bell in my memory. I stared at the dragon uncomprehendingly. Four faint scars were visible on his face. The newest one was across the dragon's forehead, and it looked wider and less healed than the others. The arkaetre had to be Kaces, and he was trying to get my attention. "I can take it from here," Kaces said, turning to the angelic figure.

They nodded, and in the Master's voice, said, "Have him bound as soon as possible. We're wasting time."

All three fliers lifted off, leaving me with Kaces's dragon. He waited silently as I regained my strength, and then muttered, "We've got to be going."

I looked back towards the huge cage that had held me for weeks on end. I had no desire to return, and I turned to him with steel in my eyes. "No."

"You misunderstand. We're going the other way."

"We? What are you talking about?"

"Hey, keep quiet," Kaces cautioned, glaring at me. The Master's strange arkaetre and my parents' griffins were waiting with the fliers and other arkaetres near the huge door I had left through. I noticed a hydra among them. They still had half an eye on our interaction and were regarding us with increasing suspicion.

Kaces took a final glance back at the Master. Then he pounded towards me. "Hareket!"