- 22 -

I tried to insist that Kaces at least go to a nearby town in disguise to get supplies for himself, but he scoffed at the idea, saying that the consequences would be too severe if he was caught. We had already gone over a plan, and I couldn't argue with him. I made my way away from the WingWay alone, careful to fly straight in order to not lose my bearings.

As the beginnings of a valley began to take shape, I noticed a large river flowing in the forest below. I took the opportunity to bathe my human form as best I could and wash my Order uniform. I dried the clothes with a spell I knew well, Kurcol.

Unfortunately, my shirt still showed Anahid's Dark symbol, as it didn't have long sleeves, but I was sure that having the uniform would add to my credibility. I could find some warmer, more concealing clothes once I got into the city. Clean and newly invigorated, I took flight again, watching the valley continue to curve downward. Ready to go home, Anahid?

Well, you have more important places to go than home.

You know what I mean. In the distance, I started to see skyscrapers and domes, still masked by the tall trees, and did some quick calculations. My town was west of Serkha City, and when my dad and I had first approached it, we passed over a distinctive triangular building that I could now see rising out of the left side of the city. That meant that south, where Kaces had said that the Master was planning to attack from, was also the general direction of the Forxier Mountains and the WingWay that we had used. I had guessed as much, but I wanted to be sure.

Roads began to cross the ground, and I realized with a sinking feeling that I would have to walk the rest of the way to be discreet. Serkha City had to be on high alert now, and any hint of Dark arkaetres in the sky would likely be met with magical artillery.

I swooped down and changed my form in midair, landing nimbly on my feet and hands. To my relief, nobody was around to see me appear. The road I had landed on was wide enough for two lanes of traffic, but it was only made of compacted dirt and gravel and looked rather roughed up.

I started to run down the street, thankful for a chance to stretch my legs in my human form. It had been a while since I'd done anything but walk and fly. The road was more dusty than muddy, but the ends of my pant legs quickly became layered with dirt again.

That gave me an idea. While I was still alone, I gathered some dust and rubbed it on my arms as best I could. It wasn't a perfect solution, but my symbol was slightly less prominent now. I picked up my pace again, reciting the explanation that I would inevitably have to give to anyone who asked who I was.

I started to hear the noises of the city: car horns, magical shudders, and general bustle among the cries of arkaetres and their mages. While I ran, I passed by a few other people, but thankfully none of them stopped me. The tips of skyscrapers met the tips of trees in my peripherals.

Along the way, the road had become paved. As my boots slammed against the asphalt, I rounded the last corner and faced one of many gates into the city. It was open, but a foggy Light shield filled its opening, and two Light mages with cheetah arkaetres stood at attention at the sides of the entrance, watching the road. They eyed me suspiciously as I approached.

I didn't make eye contact and attempted to stroll through, but one of them stepped out to block my way. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked imposingly.

I swallowed and tried to stay calm. "The Order," I said, pointing to the hydra still emblazoned on my shirt.

The guard narrowed his eyes. "And where's your arkaetre?"

"He's injured. I was patrolling the road when we were attacked, and I have an urgent message to bring to the Order."

"If you've been inside the city walls anytime in the past month, you'd know that mages are supposed to have their arkaetres out at all times.

This caught me off guard, but I tried to take it in stride. "I know, but he can't walk."

The other guard stepped forward sympathetically. "Take him out, and Atles can heal him," she said to me.

"I don't know, Carmen. This kid doesn't seem trustworthy."

"Don't be silly. Is your arkaetre a flier?" Before I could stop her, Carmen flipped my right arm over, revealing my Dark griffin. The dust did little to disguise it in the open.

She fell into startled silence. I snatched my arm away and tried desperately to think of an excuse, backing away towards Atles's growling arkaetre. Atles latched his giant hand over my symbol, shoving it uncomfortably behind my back. "You're going to the Order, all right," he said, taking out a device that I instantly recognized.

He held a shifter disc. It was lighter metal with a concentric circle pattern, but still obviously the same design as the one that had turned my symbol Dark. I squirmed out of his grasp and made a run for the city, but the second guard stopped me, getting a firmer grip on me and holding me still while I felt a familiar stabbing pain.