THIRTY-ONE

pls pls listen to the song i linked above it gives me so many vibes of this book <3

***

"Taehyung what the hell!", Yoongi ran after his best friend when the guy left class in the middle of the lesson, laughing to himself as he grabbed a cigarette and put it to his mouth in the middle of the hallway. "What do you want?!", Taehyung chuckled, turning around as he lightened his cigarette.

"You just got an F on your retake exam and walked out, throwing it to the rubbish? Dude, do you have any idea how hard it was for us to get the teachers to allow you to retake the exams you missed?!", Yoongi yelled out.

Taehyung shrugged, leaning against the locker, smirking with his cigarette between his lips.
"No one asked you guys to do that."

"What about college? You worked so hard all year to-"

"Who cares about fucking college, Yoongi?", Taehyung yelled back, "Just mind your own business."
"I'm not going to fucking mind my own business", Yoongi snapped, "You're my best friend. What the fuck happened to you?"

The younger didn't answer, he just looked at his friend before he turned away and walked outside. Followed by Yoongi of course, he wouldn't leave him alone. "You're going to fail your finals. Do you seriously want to fuck up your future?"

"There's no future for me anyway", Taehyung smiled calmly, "Either I'm dead by the end of the year or about to get married to some fucking girl."

Yoongi lifted his eyebrows, "You looked happy with her this morning. You were all over her. Why are you saying this now?"
The younger crossed his arms, "Sure."

"Just tell me what happened in the last month, Tae. I can't help if you keep it secret from me. I love you, bro. I'm going to do anything to help-"

Taehyung chuckled, looking away.

"You know that you can be with Jungkook, right? You shouldn't listen to what people like your father or me and Hoseok say, being gay is okay." Yoongi let out a sigh, "We won't bully him anymore, you can be with him if that's what's messing you up so much right now."

"I'm not gay", Taehyung said harshly, "I can't be gay."

"Of course you can, what the fuck", Yoongi inhaled deeply, "I may not like this kid but if you do, that's fine."

"I don't give two fucks whether you like him or not, Yoongi. Trust me, your opinion doesn't matter to me at all", Taehyung laughed out, "But I've been through hell these past few weeks, and I'd prefer not going back there."
"Back where?"

Taehyung's throat went dry, so he turned away and tried to run away but Yoongi held him by his arm, pulling him back. "Taehyung, please. Let me help you."
"I don't need anyone's help, I'm fine!"

"Are you though?!", Yoongi yelled out, "What about Jimin then? Where is he? Why he is covered in bruises and barely talks to us anymore?"
"How about you ask that Jimin instead of me?" , Taehyung hissed. "My brother is not my responsibility."

"Bro, yes he is!", Yoongi facepalmed himself, "You should always protect your brother."

"No one protected me when I needed protection", Taehyung said numbly. "Not a single one of you. I don't need you now."

"You told us to stay out of this!", Yoongi said, "You literally called us that night, saying that whatever happens we should stay quiet about it and not say anything to Jungkook. How the fuck are you going to be mad at us now, when we did exactly what you wanted us to do?"
Taehyung balled his fists, "I couldn't say more that night, I was fucking getting exported to a frickin' military school!"