Chapter Eight - French Fries & Hot Brothers

"Are you going to eat that?"

I glanced between my plate of untouched fries and Jenna who was staring at them longingly, before pushing the plate towards her. "Help yourself." I didn't know why I had bothered getting lunch anyway. My stomach had been in knots all day and I had no idea why.

Jenna  sent me a big smile and happily dug into the plate without as much as a thank you. One thing I had learnt about her during the few lunches we had shared together, was that she had absolutely no manners. Another thing I had learnt, was how freaking hilarious she was.

Sure, she had a bit of a tough exterior, but she was decent company when you gave her the chance. Well, overseeing the little incident this morning where she told Freddie Dorfman to go suck a dick  - pardon my French - after he had been staring at her for too long. I'd never seen that boy blush so much in my life.

"So," I muttered as I took a sip from my apple juice "are you joining any clubs this year?"

Jenna raised her eyebrows at me and asked "Clubs?" with a mouth full of chewed fries. I quickly averted my eyes, feeling a little sickened at the sight.

"Yeah, you know, the drama club and stuff. Signups are being held tomorrow during lunch."

Jenna seemed to ponder it for a moment, and luckily swallowed her fries before talking this time "Is there a boxing club?" she asked.

I frowned, Jenna was into boxing? My eyes quickly assessed her tiny frame, which looked like it belonged on the runway rather than in a boxing ring. "Not that I know of." I told her.

"Too bad." She said and shoved another fry into her mouth "My brother would've loved that."

I frowned "Your brother goes here?"

"Oh god, no." Jenna shook her head "I would go out of my mind. I used to go to school with him back in San Francisco, but he started college two years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me."

"Why? Don't you guys get along?" I asked her curiously. I had always wanted a sibling, so I didn't understand why people complained about theirs.

"Oh no, we get along fine. He's just a little overbearing." She sighed "It literally took him ten minutes to hunt down the first guy that ever asked me out and smash his face into a locker. Never been asked out since."

That surprised me. Jenna was really pretty, so her brother must be a scary guy.

"Anyway," she continued "he's really into fighting, and he keeps pushing me to get some lessons myself. So I can "protect myself"." She mockingly mimicked her brother's voice while making air quotations with her fingers.

"Why doesn't he just teach you himself?" I asked her as I picked up a fry off the plate and chewed on it to busy myself.

"He claims he doesn't want to hurt me. But I think he's just too scared of getting his ass kicked by a girl." Jenna grinned and flicked her pink locks over her shoulder with an effortless shrug, causing me to smile.

"So, are you joining any clubs then?" Jenna asked as he finished up the last few fries on the plate and pushed it away from herself, obviously not intending to clean it up.

My face instantly lit up "Yeah, I'm joining the school paper." Even though I was a little shy about sharing my work, I had to start putting myself out there if I wanted to earn a scholarship into the University of Iowa. They had one of the best creative writing programs in the world and it would be a dream come true to attend there.

"You're into writing?" Jenna asked curiously.

I opened my mouth, intent on telling her about my biggest passion when I was interrupted by the ringing of the bell signalizing the end of lunch.