Chapter Twelve - Coffee & The Truth

The click of the lock being put into place resonated down the empty street and I looked up at the familiar logo of The Book Lodge sadly. This was really it. The last time I'd be going over these motions, completing the familiar routine.

I casted a look towards the sky which was already darkening. The days were turning shorter and the temperatures had been dropping drastically since the heat wave over the weekend. I shivered a little as a breeze hit my bare arms and I reached into my bag to get my red vest out, putting it on to protect myself from the chilly air before starting the familiar route back home.

I looked down at my feet as I counted the tiles beneath them, thinking back to my phone conversation with my mother's friend, Rose. If everything went according to plan, I'd be starting my job at the law firm this coming Monday. My mother was arranging for me to have two days off from school each week to work at the internship, which meant I had to take extra classes on the remaining days to keep up with the rest of my class. I didn't really mind, since it wasn't like I had anything better to do with my time. The only friend I had was Jenna, and we only hung out during school hours.

I'd also spoken to Mr. Henries over the weekend to inform him of my resignation. He had told me that he understood, but couldn't stay on the phone for long since he had diapers to change and children to feed. I wondered briefly if he would be like my mother some day. Keeping his children from their own happiness. I knew I sounded bitter speaking of my mother in that way, but even though I respected her decision to want what was best for me, didn't mean I liked it.

Things had been tense between us these last few days, especially since I'd been trying to ignore her. Key word being trying. It was a pathetic attempt to get her to reason with me, but the reality was that I didn't know any other way. I'd never talked back to my mother in my life; I didn't know how to.

I looked up when I turned the corner and passed the town's go to diner, peeking in through the window at the cozy, dimly lit restaurant. I felt a little jealous of the people inside. They looked warm and happy and everything that I was not.

Especially the first, I thought as another cold breeze hit me.

I retrieved my phone from my pocket and glanced down at the time. 6.15 pm, dinner wouldn't be for at least another hour. It couldn't hurt if I went in and got a coffee, right? Anything to postpone going home and facing her.

I made up my mind and pushed the door to the diner open, stepping behind in the short line of people waiting to order.

As I waited for my turn, I distracted myself with people watching, something I did a lot. My eyes scanned the diner, from the people talking animatedly behind the bar to the couples cuddled up in the diner booths. One girl in particular caught my eye, her brown wavy hair seemingly gold in the reflection of the light as it cascaded down on her and her date- wait, was that Poppy?

I narrowed my eyes to get a better look, and when she looked up and laughed at something the person across from her said I realized that the girl was indeed Poppy. Did that mean her date was-

"Good afternoon, what can I get you?" I didn't realize I'd moved forward in the line completely until the girl behind the counter broke me out of my thoughts.

"Eh..." I stammered as I pulled my eyes away from Poppy and onto the menu board that hung on the wall behind the bar.

"One cappuccino please." I glanced back at Poppy before adding "Make that to go."

"That'll be $3.50 please."

I retrieved the money from my pocket and handed it to the cashier before moving onto the line of people waiting to receive their order.