Chapter Fourteen: The Calm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

One day left until the due date

Resting flat on top of the Pack. You relax as the light of the sun illuminates the bare skin of your chest, arms, head, and tail. Slowly tanning it the longer you sat under it. Grabbing a nearby bottle of water. You down the cold liquid to keep your body temperature from rising too much. Lying back down on the towel you'd placed on the Pack, the sound of somebody climbing the nearby ladder grew louder and louder.

"Hey, Warrior," Naosu says, sticking his head over the edge of the Pack. "What are you doing up here?"

"Relaxing."

"Don't we have, like, a few more days until we have to head back to the princess?"

"Yes."

"So, you're just sitting up here?" Sitting up to face the mechanic. You once again grab your water before taking a more natural seated pose. "Naosu, a few things. One: I've already talked to the kids about what they need to do. So it's up to them to do it since I can't help. Two: we've already packed up most of the camp. So we really don't have any work to do around here. And three: even if I wanted to go down there and help the children at the Plantation, I can't. It's gone."

"Wait, it's what?" A surprised Naosu swiftly lets out.

"Yeah, they left a couple of days ago for a place up north called the Garden. They're apparently getting some sort of medical check-up. So there's no real point for me to go. I'll really just be waiting outside in the snow while they get up to date on their shots. So relax a little Naosu. Because I have a feeling that once the Plantation returns and the plan goes into action. We won't have another chance to relax like this for a while."

Naosu gives you several confused looks while pondering on your works. Even raising a finger or opening his mouth a couple times as if to say something only to remain silent. That was until his eyes widened as a thought popped into his head. "But, if the Plantation's not gonna be here when the due date hits. Then wouldn't that mean we failed the mission?"

"No," you answer, placing the bottle back down. "Since we were sent to watch the Plantation. The time only applies for as long as we're watching the Plantation. So since it's gone, the time limit is theoretically no longer in effect. But once it gets back then then the timer continues."

"Oh, okay, I guess." He comments as you lay back down flat on your stomach. Allowing the sun to now soak your back half. Giving you a slight wave, Naosu begins to descend down the ladder. "Well, Warrior, enjoy your time off."

"Will do Naosu, will do."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Heavy snow fell from the darkened sky all around the Parasites as they walked down the barely visible path. The squad's destination was an ominous-looking tower inside the Garden. Which thanks to the color of its exterior made it harder to spot through the heavy snowfall. "Are we there yet? I think I'll freeze if we stay out here any longer." Zorome barked up from behind the two adults. Even with the heavy coat they had been given. The cold was still taking an obvious effect on everyone in the group.

"We're almost there 666. Just a little farther." Nana quickly reassured both the boy and the rest of the group.

"Hey, I think I can see it!" Futoshi pointed out as the light from the building's entrance slowly became visible. Quickening their pace. The group rushes into the dark tower. Escaping the harsh elements for the warm lobby of the Garden's lab. The squad goes about brushing the snow and ice off their shoulders and attempting to regain the body heat they lost.