Chapter Fifteen: A Plan in Motion

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A technician wandered through the nearly empty halls of the Plantation. With every step he took. He fought to keep himself awake. As he walked, he listened as the rhythmic sound of rain pelted the metal dome high above them. Only making him sleepier. "Why do I have to go in this early?" They murmured to themselves. "I'm supposed to be working the afternoon shift. But no, I have to come in because someone else called in sick."

Inputting the code for the operations room. They stepped in to find the room already bustling with life. Workers busied themselves with what was on the screen. Computers around the room filled the space with a dull orange light. Which helped to soothe the man's sensitive eyes. While in the center of it all stood two individuals. One was a sharp man with dark hair. While the other was a voluptuous woman with red hair.

"Defence commander, caretaker." The technician greeted as he walked towards the only thing that mattered in the room. Taking an empty cup. He places it under the serving system of the room's coffee machine. Preparing everything he wished to add to his cup. The sound of metal clanging came out from inside the thing before it shut itself off. Before he could take a look at the coffee maker. The closest worker next to him swiveled her chair to face him. "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't think anyone told you." She apologized. "But that thing has been on the fritz lately. Sorry"

"Of course it has." The man grumbles. Leaving the machine disappointed. He finally walks over to the station he was supposed to be manning. Sitting down on the less than comfortable chair. The man goes about switching the computer off of automatic and back onto manual. Looking at the monitor in front of him. The technician could see the Plantation's radar swirl around the circular display. Putting on the nearby headphones. The man prepares for another boring day in front of a computer.

Suddenly, a ping rings through the headphones indicating that it picked up something. Sitting up and scrambling over himself to get a look at the monitor. Now scared awake. The technician was surprised to find no anomalies. Leaning in closer, he was shocked as the computer pinged once again before a blue dot appeared on the screen. But just as quickly as it appeared. The blue speck glitched for a second before disappearing completely.

"That's weird." Quickly checking his machine over. He found nothing out of place with it as far as he could tell. Looking back at the screen. He could see it repeatedly appear and disappear. Each time, getting closer and closer to the Plantation. Not knowing what else to do. He hits the top of his machine with his fist. The machine's monitor is filled with static for a moment. After which, the anomaly disappeared entirely and didn't return. Not knowing what to make of it. He swivels his chair to face the center of the room. "Um, defense commander. Can you come take a look at this?"

"Is everything alright technician?" Hachi questions as he walks over to the man. Turning back around to face the monitor. The man begins to explain to the best of his ability. "Well, yes, no, maybe? It's hard to tell. The radar pinged earlier and I thought there was a Klaxosaur. But it keeps disappearing too quickly for me to tell. At first, I thought the machine was busted. Except there's nothing wrong with it. I was hoping that you might know what was going on?"

"No, I'm afraid I don't know." He explains while trying to find an answer. "The only thing I can think of is that the storm might be interfering with the radar."

"I guess."

"Okay. If we're done here. Then you should get back to monitoring for any incoming threats." Hachi states as he begins to turn back towards Nana. "And let me know if it happens again." "Will do, sir." Walking away from the technician. He prepares to continue his conversation with the caretaker before he is once again pulled from it. "Defense commander, sir," the technician spoke up. "It's happening again."