FOUR

Photo Credit: Pinterest.  Source unknown.   Welcome to the little house that Arayna called home from the time she moved to Evans Creek when she was in the second grade.

***

 "Anything." Jim said, and Arayna smiled through her tears because Jim meant it.

"I had Liz put my things in storage a few days ago. Would you go through them for me? Sell what you can and donate anything you can't."

"I can do that. I'll take Liz over there this weekend. She's got a gift for that sort of thing. She'll know where the donations will matter most. We'll go through any papers we find. We'll throw out what we can and send you the rest with the check for the other stuff."

"Jim, you're the best."

"Don't you know it." He chuckled. "But seriously, we're all heartbroken for you, and if there's anything else you need, please call us."

"I will. I promise." Arayna smiled though tears poured down her cheeks.

"Has your mom...?" Jim asked softly.

"Not yet. But soon. Her heart can't take much more."

"Liz and I can come. You sound like you need the moral support."

"I have Mrs. Morgan. She should be nominated for sainthood. She lost her daughter in law six months ago and is still helping Graham and Jesse work through that. And she's been with Daddy at the hospital with Mama at least once a day. I don't know where she finds the strength."

"I can't imagine. Listen, we'll take care of your things this weekend, like I said. But then we'll be on the first plane we can get. You need us, even if you won't admit it."

"I—please don't. not yet. I need to work this out with Daddy first. But I want you to come. I do need you. I'll call you on Monday?"

"I'll call you around dinner time if I don't hear from you before that. Take care of yourself."

"I'm trying."

Arayna said her goodbyes and made her way to her old room. It hadn't been touched since she left and she hadn't done anything more than sleep since she'd been here. She heard the water turn off and figured Daddy would be ready to go soon. Running a brush through her hair, she twisted it up into a messy top-knot and dressed in jeans and one of her old t-shirts.

It was a bit snug in the shoulders, but she hadn't had time to do laundry or buy anything new. She would use that as an excuse to get Daddy out of the hospital a little bit earlier tonight.

"Daddy?" she called as she stepped into the hall. "There you are. I made coffee. And I snuck out to the café this morning and brought back a slice of their apple pie. Share it with me?"

He looked like a whitewashed version of himself, a much older version. He only nodded and headed for the stairs. She followed, thinking of how she could coax him to eat, but it turned out she didn't have to. He poured their coffee while she split the pie onto two plates. And brought them to the table. She picked at her food, but Daddy ate every last crumb.

It was as if he sensed she wouldn't let him leave until he ate something. With a smile she pushed away her plate.

"I'll take care of that later. Let's go see Mama."

Daddy didn't speak, he just got up and headed for his car. He climbed wordlessly into the passenger seat and buckled. He didn't speak on the drive either. When they were getting out of the car, she touched his arm as they walked toward the hospital.