TWENTY-TWO

Photo Credits: Sparkle-pikest.com, dress-pinterest (source unknown), toast-champagnebaby.com

This was a lot of fun to write.  I was really surprised that I got it the way I liked it after the first draft.  The idea that Graham would use a fake relationship to get out of some seriously awful and completely unwanted attention isn't that far-fetched.  It wasn't hard for me to imagine using a fake relationship as a "safe-zone".  I once pretended to be a dear friend of a gal to help her get away from an annoying pest at a bar I frequented for Karaoke.    I said "Oh my God!  I haven't seen you in so long!"  Bless her heart, she blinked, paused two seconds and jumped right in with "Oh Wow! How are you?" We hugged and went out the back door "for a smoke" to get away.  We had a lot of fun that night pretending to be friends and ended up friends for real.  Incidentally, her name was Jenn.  

***

Arayna paused to admire the lights that decorated the elegant estate, so Bill and Jenn went ahead. After her coat was taken, she decided the inside was as lovely as the outside. After looking around at all the lovely gowns and flashing jewels, she felt plainer than ever as her hand went to her bare throat. She was tempted to leave but she had work to do. And after it all, she was no shrinking violet to hide herself away!

She squared her shoulders and grabbed a glass of Champaign as a server walked by. Sipping the bubbly, she gathered her courage. She could do this. Tonight's mission" was to garner support for the Children's Special Olympics program. She could do this. She traded her empty glass for a full one as another server walked by.

Graham made his rounds and managed to stay busy enough that he was left alone, aside from an occasional wave or wink, which he pretended not to notice. As midnight grew nearer, it became increasingly difficult as the buzzards began circling, wanting to be close enough to steal a New Year's kiss. Graham was accosted twice already.

With so many over-exposed bosoms Graham made a strategic retreat. He had no desire to repeat the spilling bosoms episode. He cringed as he recalled Mrs. Everly; a rich divorcee squeezed into a dress that had to be two sizes too small who was actively seeking her next Mister. Everly was prowling, so Graham was reduced to hiding like a frightened child.

He shook his head disgusted with himself. He never had a cause to "handle" a desperate cougar type before, but he was a grown man. He threw his shoulders back and was about to step back into the room when he heard Everly laugh and winced. No way! Hiding from that woman isn't a show of cowardice, it's self-preservation!

Looking around he saw Bill, but Graham would have to get by Everly first. Everly laughed again and immediately Graham's eyes swung in the opposite direction where they caught on a familiar figure dressed in black and white with the simply elegant bearing of an aristocrat. She sipped her Champaign as she looked around the party, searching for—he cringed at the sound as Everly called to him again.

"Yoo-hoo." Everly's voice crawled down his spine and elicited a shiver of revulsion, "Mr. Maaay-or."

Everly was coming toward him through the crowd, a large drink in one hand and waiving the other at him as if she were hailing a New York City cab.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. He might have been embarrassed if he'd stopped to think, but Everly called out to him again and the sound of her voice found his most sensitive nerve and hit it...hard. He was definitely desperate...

Arayna was nearly finished with her second glass and decided it was as good a time as any to start mingling. From the looks of things, some of the guests were well into their cups and would be more amiable—and open to suggestions as to where they could put some tax-deductible donation dollars.