SEVEN

Photo credit: zillow.com              Welcome to Graham's house.  You'll get to see pictures from the inside.  When you do, you can see how it was home to Graham and Pamela.   Clean  lines and functionality nicely blended with  warmth and sentimentality.

***

"Jesse, I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be late. I was in a meeting." He tried not to sigh. "You remember that sometimes Daddy has meetings."

Graham looked at his son in the rear-view mirror. The boy sat in his booster seat with his arms crossed over his chest as he scowled out the window. It was a bit dramatic, but obviously Jesse hadn't forgiven him yet. Jesse only had one parent to attend school functions and Graham felt terrible about disappointing his son, but there was still that other matter to discuss.

"Jesse," he began, "Even though Daddy was late, and even though that made you angry, you can't misbehave in school. You can't throw food and yell at the teacher, Jesse."

Another glance in the mirror revealed progress. Jesse's arms were still crossed, but his shoulders slouched. Jesse still glared out the window, but he seemed more thoughtful than angry. He was listening at least.

"Jesse." Graham tried again. "Son, I know I hurt your feelings because I was late but it wasn't because I don't love you."

This time when he looked in the rear-view mirror, he saw Jesse drop his hands into his lap and look at them with a sorrowful expression.

Graham gave a silent thanks for Mr. Phelps his effective communication class that included, among other things, the use of body language. At the time he signed up for it his senior year in high school, Graham thought it would be a good class whatever career that he might enter. Graham never could have imagined he would be using it to negotiate surrender terms with his six-year-old.

"I'm really sorry Jesse."

"Mommy didn't have meetings." Jesse whispered in a wobbly voice.

And just like that, Graham's heart was flayed.

"No, son." He swallowed the usual lump he got when he thought of how much Jesse must miss Pamela, "Your mommy didn't have meetings. She was a super great mommy, wasn't she?"

Jesse's little chest lifted in a long heavy sigh as he turned teary eyes to the rear-view mirror and met Graham's sad gaze.

"She was the bestest." Jesse agreed with his quiet tearful voice.

"The very bestest." Graham agreed feeling the familiar ache in his chest and the burn in his own eyes, "I know sometimes I'm not the bestest Daddy but I want you to know that I love you very much and I am trying really hard to be a good daddy."

A little nod from Jesse brought a smile to Graham's heart as he turned into the driveway. In an automatic motion, he flipped down the visor and reached for the garage door opener. He paused and looked hopefully in the rear-view mirror.

"Want to open the garage up for me?" Graham didn't know if Jesse remembered their special little ritual whenever he picked Jesse up from school. Suddenly, Graham wanted this to be their special little ritual again—very much.

"Yeah!" Jesse's face lit up and Graham's spirits lifted. In the blink of an eye Jesse was unbuckled and nimbly climbed over the seat. His little face beamed with an ear to ear grin and Graham felt his heart swell with love for this wonderful little guy. As Jesse climbed quickly onto his lap, Graham skillfully guided Jesse's little feet and narrowly avoided a painful connection.