9

the clock's ticking hands painted the night in an eerie aura as mark grabbed his guitar, aiming to reach alice's without drawing any attention from his roommates, especially haechan. if haechan knew that mark was going to alice's at 3 in the morning, he would first tell him that he was crazy, and then he would tell the others.

the empty streets at this hour served as a clandestine ally, allowing mark to dash towards alice's apartment complex without any trouble. 

anxiety percolated within him as he waited at her door, uncertainty swirling in his mind about whether to stay or leave. his dilemma dissipated swiftly as the door swung open, revealing alice's disheveled state, comfy in her sweatpants and sports bra, yet her eyes showed rawness, suggesting recent tears. 

"mark, why are you awake? and here?" alice's voice wavered. "get inside."

without a word, mark scooped her up, carrying her to her room. he wasn't going to lie to himself, it was bold, considered he'd only recently met her, but she had some power over him to make him feel comfortable around her.

settling at the foot of her bed, his concern rippled through his words, not accusatory but desperate to know the truth behind whatever was bothering her.

"what's wrong?" his voice softened, a plea more than a demand. "please, don't say you're fine. i saw your post. and i want to help. i need you to be honest."

hugging herself, alice hesitated, evading his gaze. mark's persistence, coupled with genuine concern, began to chip away at her guarded facade. his plea, heartfelt and sincere, cut through her defenses. 

alice took a deep breath, knowing that mark was being genuine. she had only trusted jiwoo with her issue only because she was going through the same thing. but she could see that in mark's eyes, he really was just worried about her well-being, and judging from his tousled hair, he was frustrated. 

"i have depression," she admitted in a subdued tone. "but don't worry, it's only minor."

mark shook his head firmly. "no form of depression is minor."

alice confided, revealing the intermittent waves of overwhelming sadness that engulfed her, a relentless tide she struggled to navigate. his empathy resonated as he acknowledged her struggle, seeking permission to get closer to her to offer comfort. 

"can i..?"  he gestured towards the space beside her, a silent plea for permission. as alice made room, mark nestled next to her, reassuring his presence. his words, a blend of understanding and support, eased the tention in the room, inviting a moment of solace amidst the storm. 

"alice, i can't say that i know how you feel, because i don't. but i can say that i understand how you feel. have you told anyone else about this?" mark inquired gently.

"just jiwoo," alice murmured, her vulnerability laid bare.

"do you have a way to let these feelings out?" mark asked. "keeping them inside for too long can make you explode."

alice shook her head.

"you should have a journal," he spoke. "i have one for when i feel any sort of strong emotion like happiness, anger, sadness. i write everything down in there and then close it. i don't look back at it ever. it's in the past, why should i?"

"that makes sense," alice mumbled. "i'll start doing that."

"good," mark said. 

in the cocoon of shared silence, their closeness felt comforting, a sanctuary where words weren't necessary. 

"do you like ice cream?" mark suddenly questioned, piercing the solemn atmosphere, inviting a lighter note into the heavy air.

"i love it, why?" 

"let's go get some."

-

in the quiet hours of the night, mark drove alice to the one ice cream shop that seemed perpetually awake, its warm glow welcoming them in. the bored expression of the employee's face transformed into animated delight the moment he laid eyes on mark.

"mark lee!"

"yuta nakamoto!"

"girl whose name i don't know!" yuta's enthusiam was infectious.

alice giggled at the friendliness of the employee, introducing herself as yuta took her hand in a playful greeting.

"oh? you're very beautiful alice," yuta spoke as he then kissed the top of her hand. "what would you two like?" he asked as he washed his hands in preparation to grab their food. 

alice's curiosity led her to wander around, examining the myriad of themed ice cream cakes, her fascination a source of amusement for the two men.

"girlfriend?" yuta asked, noticing the ease between mark and alice.

"nah, she's just a friend," mark clarified.

"yeah, but you like her."

"yeah, i know man. how could i not? but we just met like, a week ago. i just want to become a friend, the close friend, and then get into something more. baby steps."

yuta gave mark a pat on the back. "it's on the house today."

"really?" the younger man inquired. "i brought my wallet."

yuta closed his eyes and nodded, closing the debate. "treat her. she's been eyeing that cake for a while."

"thanks dude, you're the best."

mark walked up behind alice, who was still ogling her eyes at the cake in the display. "c'mon, we can eat a slice here."

as they sat and indulged in the sweet delights, yuta discreetly observed the unfolding camaraderie between them. he'd rarely witnessed mark bring a friend to the shop, and never at such an hour. watching alice's laughter ring through the quiet shop, he couldn't help but chuckle. her genuine amusement at mark's stupid antics spoke volumes about their connection, a rapport forged in the simplest moments.

recognizing the opportunity for privacy, yuta discreetly secured the shop, ensuring no interruptions would disrupt the intimacy budding between the two. with a knowing smile, he retreated to the back room, leaving the pair in their own little bubble, allowing their friendship to blossom in the late-night serenity of the ice cream shop.

"did you have fun?" mark asked alice when they'd arrived back at her apartment.

alice nodded. "thank you for this."

"oh, i'm not done yet," mark chuckled. his gesture of pulling his guitar out of the trunk drew a surprised gasp from alice as she marveled at his versatile talents

her jaw dropped at the sight. "so you're telling me that you can dance and play guitar? what can't you do?"

with a humble smile, mark downplayed his abilities. "i can sing and play piano too. but come on, let's get inside."

as alice nestled under the covers, mark positioned himself on a chair nearby. his fingers danced along the strings, weaving a gentle melody that drifted through the air, lulling her into a tranquil state. he continued to strum and hum, each chord wrapping around her like a soothing blanket until her eyelids fluttered shut.

mark, ensuring her peaceful slumber, gently blew a soft breath toward her closed eyes, confirming her sleep. satisfied, he carefully returned his guitar to its case and tiptoed to the couch, settling down as silence embraced the apartment.

in the serene tranquility of the night, with only the soft hum of the air conditioning as a soundtrack, mark soon succumbed to the embrace of sleep. the apartment hummed with the calmness of the night, both alice and mark lost in the tranquility of their dreams.

some cute markxalice moments for you.
also yuta is a king, all hail nakamoto yuta.