22

in the heat of preparation for the looming dance competition, mark and alice found themselves entrenched in an intensified practice regimen. their sessions, once weekly, now evolved into a rigorous every-other-day routine. taeyong's unyielding dedication pushed them to their limits, his meticulous eye dissecting each move, demanding perfection.

"one more time," mark gasped between breaths, determination etched in every line of his face. "come on, we got this."

the impending dance competition loomed close, and mark and alice were engulfed in a rigorous practice routine, surpassing their usual weekly session to train every other day. under taeyong's meticulous guidance, their rehearsals became intensive, his discerning eye leaving no move unpolished. 

"wait, is it my right hand or left?" alice questioned, interrupting their sequence. 

taeyong patiently guided her through the step again, his coaching aiding her to grasp the intricacies more effortlessly with each repetition. the thought dawned on her—perhaps dance was her latent calling.

with the competition mere days away, thursday marked their final practice. taeyong's unyielding standards surprised even mark, the coach pushing them to their limits with unwavering intensity.

after flawlessly executing the routine thrice, taeyong put an end to the session, stressing the importance of rest and nourishment before the big day. "make sure you get your rest," he told them. "eat right in the morning and come together. we can do a final run at the comp."

exhaustion muted their responses as they nodded in agreement.

"you guys are going to do great," taeyong's confidence reverberated in his words. "the other guys are coming to support too. and you guys probably have more chemistry than any other dancers."

grateful for taeyong's guidance, alice hugged him. "thanks for putting up with me. i know i'm not the easiest student," she chuckled.

"nah, you've been better than some people i teach," taeyong reassured her, his pride evident in their journey together.

-

"good luck!" alice's spirited shout resonated, extending her encouragement to all members of 127.

the competition segmented into three categories—group, duet, and solo. as the groups took the stage, 127 led the charge, their synchronized performance an awe-inspiring testament to their unity. from the wings, alice observed their seamless flow, an impeccable display that defied flaw detection.

as they returned backstage, alice enveloped each member in a grateful hug, showering them with admiration and words of praise. however, a wave of nervousness gripped her just before their duet performance. she sought solace in mark's reassuring presence, tugging at his sleeve for a moment of reassurance.

"what's wrong?" mark's concern was palpable as he guided her to sit down.

"i'm just nervous about sitting down in front of all those people and getting judged," alice confessed. "what if i mess up? it won't make you look that good either."

"okay, listen to me me," mark's voice was calm yet firm. "if you think like that, then you will mess up. just pretend we're in the studio with taeyong. the lights will be in your face, so you won't be able to see the audience anyway. you can do it," he encouraged, enfolding her in a supportive embrace.

a gentle kiss on her forehead accompanied mark's reassuring words as their names were announced. "I need to see dance master alice, alright?"

"oh, she's here," alice affirmed, summoning her confidence with a radiant smile as she stepped onto the stage.

-

as the mc announced the third-place winners, the audience erupted in cheers, celebrating the achievements of the talented competitors. as alice murmured her admiration for the third-placers, taeyong's unwavering confidence in their performance bolstered her spirits, reigniting hope.

the mc's announcements continued, revealing the runners-up, each acknowledgment met with applause and whispers of encouragement among the crowd. as the tension mounted, alice found herself bouncing with nervous energy, especially as 127 was announced as the second-place group.

"alright, folks, here we go!" the mc's voice boomed through the auditorium, the anticipation palpable. the audience roared in excitement, eager to witness the crowning of the champions.

"let's start with groups this time. everybody, give it up for wayv! now, for solos, let's hear it for sawyer parks!" the crowd erupted in applause for the acknowledged talents, the atmosphere electric with anticipation.

"oh my god, this is nerve-wracking," mark muttered, feeling the weight of the moment.

alice, wrapping her arms around mark, offered a reassuring embrace. "have faith," she whispered.

their attention riveted on the stage, the tension reached its peak as the mc's words echoed, heralding the expected winners.

"okay, now this one should be obvious," the mc stated. "these two had the best chemistry. who is it? it's none other than mark lee and alice choi!"

"oh my god!" alice screamed, leaping onto mark's back in sheer elation. "we did it!"

the duo rushed onto the stage, accompanied by 127 and their thrilled friends from the audience. in that triumphant moment, surrounded by cheering supporters, alice felt an overwhelming surge of happiness—a sensation she hadn't experienced since her birthday party, and mark stood right by her side, just as he had then.