Animal Person [Engineer x Reader, Fluff]

This is an AU where you and Dell work in a barn, raising animals! Every once in a while, Dell catches a show of you absolutely loving on these animals... and each one of them makes his heart go boom boom.
This one's a bit short, sorry about that!

880 words.

~x~

Summertime.

It's one of Dell's favorite seasons, considering how many times he can get away will popping a cold one with you because of the heat. It's also because he gets to see you in lighter clothing, which gets him to praise you and your beautiful body for days on end.

But one of his most favorite things is that he gets to watch you bond with the animals you own. Dell absolutely adores seeing you being so soft with your animals.. from having conversations with the cows, to dancing with the horses. What could you do? You had to entertain yourself somehow.

On one specific day though, he caught you whistling one of his favorite tunes as you danced and played along the barnyard with your sweet horse Sadie. He leaned against the door of the barn and just watched you, hair flowing in the breeze, the corners of your lips curled slightly into a smile as you whistled that tune, your arms spread out in the air freely. To you, everything felt... serene. Happy. Calm. It seemed like Sadie was feeling the same way. You were having so much fun, you hadn't noticed that Dell had come up to you with that loving grin of his.

"Honey bun, as much as I know yer enjoying' this time out with yer favorite girl, but ain't ya hot?" the Texan spoke up softly, interrupting your whistling.

"Huh? Nah, I'm fine!" you turned to look at him, a small bead of sweat rolling down your cheek as you grinned. Then it hit.. you hadn't realized how hot you actually were, running out in the sun. "O-On second thought..."

"Don't you worry about it. Here, I brought ya your favorite chilled drink and an electric fan for the both of us to relax." He chuckled, holding up a small cooler filled with your favorite beverage and the fan.

"You're a saint.." you laughed softly, moving in to wrap your arms around his waist. "I love you.." 

You gently captured his lips in a kiss, eyes fluttering shut as you enjoyed the moment. Dell moved his arms, setting the items down before setting his hands against each of your sides as the kiss continued. You pulled away almost hesitantly, looking back at him with a sweet smile.

"Give a man some time to say 'I love you too' before kissing him like that.." he blushed, meekly pouting his bottom lip.

"Oh c'mon, I know you love my kisses."

"Ya got me.. I do." he smiles again, pressing his nose to yours. You both heard Sadie scoff behind you. She was getting jelled that she wasn't getting much attention.

"Oh Sadie.." you looked back and lightly cupped the underside of her mouth. "You know we love you too." you said, kissing her nose. She made a small happy noise, getting the both of you to chuckle softly. Quickly, before anything else, you refilled the tubs of water for your horses with Dell, his extra pair of hands making it a bit easier. Once that was finished, you took up on Dell's offer to just relax and cool down.

"How are you always so cute and innocent lookin' when ya care for the animals out there? Especially during this season!" Dell exclaimed as you sat with him, popping your drink open.

"Oh hush you. You're just as cute!" you retorted, cheeks flushing a bright pink.

"Shucks.. yer about as sweet as honeysuckle nectar." he leaned down and lightly pecked your cheek, chuckling deeply.

You pouted to the side, taking a small swig from your drink as your cheeks flushed a deeper pink, looking back at Dell when he called your name.

"Y'know... It makes me happy. That you can get along with animals so well.." he says with a smile.

"What can I say.. I'm just an animal person. Caring for them has always sorta been my dream... but caring for animals with a handsome man I love and cherish deeply makes all of it even better." you lowered your voice a bit, looking into those pretty blue eyes with a grin yourself. 

Dell felt his cheeks get warmer again as he pulled you in for another soft kiss, one hand cupping your cheek as the other set his drink down to hold your side. You giggled lightly into the kiss, setting your own drink down to wrap your arms around his neck. 

"God I love you..." he said between kisses, showering you in them at this point.

"I love you too..!" you also spoke between kisses, allowing the man to spoil you with them.

That night ended with the both of you cuddling close on the big couch you two call a bed, a thin blanket keeping you from getting you too hot and uncomfortable. You felt Dell lightly kiss the shell of your ear as he sighed, wishing you a soft good night as he drifted off, anticipating the next day and what kinds of adorable shenanigans he can catch you doing.