Figuring Out Love

"What does this one say?" I asked. 

Nero held it up to her ear. "Love does not require glamour and style. It just needs generosity and care," she replied then laughed. "As if we didn't know that. I think Floga and Gian need to hear that more. That elf really needs to understand that he doesn't need to pull gems from the ground to please Floga," Nero continued to laugh gracefully. 

I couldn't help but stare at her in awe. Even though she's a mermaid and I'm an icarus, I can't help falling in love with her. 

"What about this one?" I asked her and handed her another conch. She held it up to her ear and listened for a moment. "Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but looking together in the same direction," Nero looked at the carvings on the conch, "hmm, Saint-Exupery."

My face went slightly red as I realized I could relate to it. 

"Y-You know, Nero," I started trying to hide my nervousness. Nero looked at me curiously and flicked her tail once. That means she's anticipating something. I never found out if it means anything else. 

"Bro, you gotta tell her! Before she's taken by someone else!"

Easier said than done, Gian. You're lucky Floga's a fire element. Her kind is known to be able to detect love. And you're a blunt elf. Easy for you to express your feelings.

I took a deep breath and stared at the sun setting in the horizon. I remembered the first time meeting Nero. Right at this rock, she had saved me from drowning when I was first learning how to fly. 

"Nero, look, we've known each other for a long time and I don't want it to be awkward between us, but-"

"Anemos."

I looked at my best friend and long time crush. No, I couldn't even call her a crush anymore. I've fallen too deep.

Nero's face was slightly red, but it still held that wise look. She knew what I was gonna ask her. 

"You do know the risks, right? You've considered it all?" she asked me. "Y-Yeah," I said nodding.

Nero nodded. "I have to think of this first. I'll also have to discuss this with my parents," she told me. "Nero, sorry, you don't have to if you don't want to-"

"I have to go," she said plunging into the water. "Take the conchs. Study our language. You may need to teach your children that in the future."

"Wait, what?"

"Goodbye, Anemos," Nero pecked me on the cheek before disappearing into the deep blue. 

I sat there dazed. "Wait, do you mean-"

But I couldn't ask her. icaruses can't swim. We are known to drown if we hit the water. Our wings get heavy and drag us down. 

I put all of the scattered conchs into a sack and got ready to leave. I stared at the sunset once more, lost in thought. 

As smart as my kind is known to be, I still have no idea what Nero really means.

I flapped my wings and returned home. 

This scenario is related to Storia. It exists in the world Naltria, the world of Elements. Look out for it in the future!

I hope you enjoyed the first short story!

-ElaraLumina