Little Girl

I slipped away from the crowd and inserted the three inch long golden key into a nearby hedge. A moment later, the leaves that the key had touched glowed gold and I touched that section with my other hand. This is where the fun begins.

In a blink of an eye, I was transported to a small garden, not too fancy, just a lawn filled with a small flower and vegetable garden, a strawberry bush, a marble birdbath I found inside my family's garage. The whole garden was surrounded by thick hedges and that didn't have a single opening. And in the center of it all is a stone fountain. It wasn't flashy or big, in fact, it was twice my size and doesn't splash water everywhere, which is great since it doesn't get my drawing book and pencils wet.

It was a quiet night and the stars twinkled up above. I sat down at the base of the fountain and took in the cool night air. My fingers crept to the golden circlet clasped around my left ear. For all I knew, mom had left it with dad just before she left for a business trip. Dad had given it to me, as a reminder that mom will always come back.

Of course, I couldn't draw while it's dark. Dad had never allowed me to do that. Instead, I'd take the time to admire my surroundings.

People often made fun of me for being too sentimental and philosophical, but dad had always told me to not listen to them.

Fireflies and moths had decided to pay a visit. The moon didn't hesitate to show its light and the clouds took turns tonight and let the stars dominate the night.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I nodded. "Nature is such at peace."

The girl nodded. "Look, Love, when you meet the world, don't ever let it control you or shut your light."

I nodded. " I understand."

"Never make the same mistake I do," she said. " I'll try my best," I replied. The girl chuckled before ruffling my auburn hair. "Atta girl. Don't stay here too late, you don't want to worry your father. "

I laughed. "He trusts me and I trust him," I said. Her hand stopped all of a sudden." Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. Stay safe, Love," the girl said before getting up and walking towards the hedges.

"You sure you don't want me to take you home?"

"No, it's okay, Alpha. I'll be fine," I said, "by the way, your Chinese accent is fading."

Alpha laughed. "First of all, I asked you to call me 'Chia'. And I guess I've been hanging out with people who have different accents," she said.

"'Chia' is your code name. You've rubbed onto it, haven't you?" I asked her.

"Definitely. Pack up your things, I'm taking you home," Alpha said. "Why? I thought you said I can stay here longer," I asked, hopping off the fountain.

Alpha had a distant look in her eyes. "The magic here isn't as stable as when you first received the key. Come on. We don't want you in any trouble," Alpha said and I followed her to a nearby bush.

"Come here," Chia said holding out her hand. I accepted it without hesitance and she led me past the hedge. Chia and a few other people can access the park with just their specially trained abilities. Chia had promised to teach me when I'm a bit older.

We passed through the hedges and I closed my eyes.

***

"Earth to Leilani," Penny Walter, waved her hand in front of my face. "Sorry, did you say something?" I asked.

Penny looked at me. "No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did. Technology, definitely."

Penny laughed. "Say, what happened to Mary?" she asked. "I'm honestly not so sure. She told me that it's something to do with Chia, but I'm not sure," I told her.