03

CHAPTER THREE somewhere between raising hell and amazing grace-

CHAPTER THREE
somewhere between raising hell and amazing grace
-

Hours had gone by and Topper had left. Lainey sat on the floor of her balcony, looking out at the ocean. She sat in disappointment as she took a deep breath and looked at the empty bag of chips now in front of her. Alcohol was a really bad match for her because it always made her think of the bad things in her life.

And there weren't many. She had a family, a business, friends, she was a kook, she was pretty but she had a boyfriend who treated her like a toy. Lainey heard a doorbell as if it was scheduled.

The blonde stood up slowly trying to regain her balance. She walked to the door slowly and opened it. She took a deep breath as she saw who it was.

"Lainey, baby. I'm so sorry for earlier." Rafe said, letting himself in clearly more sober than earlier. He looked his girlfriend up and down. "What happened to you?"

Lainey almost never got drunk even when he would tell her to loosen up. But after the fight and convincing from Topper, she just kept drinking. "Didn't you tell me to loosen up a few days ago?" Lainey asks as she walks him to the kitchen.

"Yeah but Laines, this isn't you." Rafe said as Lainey poured another drink, deciding again to sit on the floor instead of in a chair. Rafe sat next to her, throwing his arm over her shoulder. He hated seeing Lainey like this despite what he said.

"I'm fine." Lainey said, fitting her head onto his chest and he squeezed her.

Rafe ran his hands through her hair. "Laines. I really am sorry about that. I know you're the better one in the relationship. But it's why I love you. You're such a badass."

Lainey chuckled at his compliment as her eyes started to flutter open and closed. "I think you're perfect."

Rafe smiles at her - she always made him feel lucky. And all he did was hurt her. "Let's hey you to bed. You're gonna have a killer headache in the morning and I'm not ready for the complaining."

Lainey nodded her head slightly and he picked the girl up bridal style which made her blush. He kissed her cheeks a few times as he reached her upstairs. He laid her down on the bed and thought about leaving but she pulled him next to her.

Rafe let her get comfortable before taking his shirt off and laying down next to her. But that was the last night for a while that they would be this close again. Things would get worse before they got better.

Just like he had called it, she woke up with a massive headache. Lainey held her head as she looked at the opposite side of the room that her boyfriend was staring in the mirror of the vanity slicking back his hair. Lainey rolled her eyes at him as she stood up out of bed.