05

CHAPTER FIVEwe change, we wait-

CHAPTER FIVE
we change, we wait
-

Lainey drove over too The Cameron's hoping Topper and Rafe would be there since they are almost always together like they were dating or something. She knocks on the door.

Ward answers and smiles to see Lainey. "Lainey, we didn't expect to see you here anytime soon. I'm sorry about what happened with Rafe. He's a bit of an idiot sometimes." He says earning a slight smile from Lainey.

"I was actually wondering if you knew where Rafe was. I have a few things to give him." Lainey crossed her arms and looked down at her pink tube top.

"He's at the country club with Topper and Kelce. I can leave a message for you." Award shrugs but Lainey takes a deep breath and flashes a smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Cameron but that won't be necessary." Lainey said as they nodded goodbye and she walked back to her car.

Lainey sat in her drivers seat wondering if she should just go home but she didn't. She drove to the country club and got out of the car, walking to the front desk.

She showed her membership card before looking at the sweet lady at the reception desk. "Oh Hi Ms. Chavez, I was wondering if you have seen Rafe Cameron anywhere?" Lainey smiled.

"Oh yes dear, he just went into the fitness center with the other two boys." The lady smiled as did Lainey as she made her way to the fitness center.

She saw Rafe, Topper and Kelce all working out through the windows and made her way in. "So I've always thought that you two are two of the stupidest people I've ever met. But after hearing about that stunt you pulled at the golf course this morning, it just confirmed that."

Lainey crosses her arms as she leans against the wall. Rafe rolls his eyes as he looks at Topper to answer. "Lainey." Topper shakes his head as he drops the weight and moves closer to her. "They held a gun up to my head and you know what? Now they sunk my boat."

"Wow. Wonder who's fault that is, Topper." Lainey took a deep breath wondering how she got the dumbest friends in the world.

"That was all Rafe." Topper said, crossing his arms as well.

"Well maybe you should rethink your friends, Topper because if it weren't for Rafe, you'd still have a boat." Lainey smirked.

"What are you even doing here, Lainey? Come to beg for me back?" Rafe asked as he moved closer to the duo.

"Fuck off, Rafe." Lainey says and looked around the room. "Look, I care about you guys despite how cheesy it is. I don't wanna see you guys dead or in jail for murder. So us four are going to have a wonderful night at movie night tonight and you guys are gonna stay far away from The Pogues."

They knew she had the power in the town to destroy them so they had no choice but to say yes at this point. "No arguments?" She threw her hands out and sat down on the equipment. "Carry on."

Lainey called her parents and told them she would have to miss dinner because she had things to take care of which was understandable. And she kept her eye on the boys all day. They even had a little fun grabbing dinner before the movie and Lainey remembered why she fell in love with Rafe when she was 15.

But the boys had other plans. The three boys sat in chairs and Lainey laid in between Topper's legs in the grass with a red solo cup in her hand. Halfway during the movie, they noticed Pope and JJ standing up and all looked at each other.

"Hey Laines, we're gonna go get a few more drinks." Topper says, standing up and walking with the boys. Lainey should have known something was up. Why would they need three guys to get a few drinks?

But she didn't notice anything until they had been gone for a few minutes and she had no sight on him - then she saw Kiara get up and walk behind the screen without her two pogue friends. She noticed a few shadows behind the screen.

Lainey got up quickly out of her seat as she started to run to behind the screen. "What the fuck are you doing?" She yelled as she saw both of the pogue boys in a chokehold. She couldn't defend her friends - they were cornering him.

"Lainey, get out of here." Rafe picks her up as she starts hitting his back with no luck as she lands next to Kiara.

She took a deep breath - she remembered the girl from when she was at the kook academy and she remembered her as a former friend of Sarah. But they weren't close.

"Kiara. Do you have a lighter?" Lainey asked quickly.

"What?" The brunette asks with a questioned face as their friends fought.

"A lighter, Kiara! We have to light the screen on fire and they'll scatter. Topper will kill him." Lainey said, pointing at the boys.

Kiara quickly grabbed the bag and emptied it out, seeing a blue lighter. She threw it to Lainey and the blonde lit the edge of the screen on fire.

The fire rose as the boys noticed it. The three kooks left quickly, partially not wanting anybody to see them and partially not wanting to deal with the wrath of Lainey until another time.

But Lainey waited for the two boys on the ground to fully regain control of the situation. The blonde took a deep breath as she stood up straight, looking at them.

"You guys okay?" Lainey asks with a sweet tone. It wasn't forced. And they could tell.

Both boys respond with a nod and Kiara looked up at her. "Yeah.." Lainey slightly smiles at their response as she starts to walk away. "Wait, Lainey." The blonde stops in her tracks and turns around. "Why would you help us?"

"Because I'm not like them." Lainey took a deep breath as she continued to walk back to Figure Eight.

A/N : I love this chapter! I love this story! I'm so grateful for all the positive feedback this story has gotten. Remember to leave feedback, comment and vote!! Thank you guys!!

word count - 1064