CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Kim stared up at the large, white brick building from his windshield. It was a bit difficult to find, as it sat far from any major roads, nestled on a vast plot of land surrounded by a wall of at least ten feet. The lawn was kept up and a few trees dotted the area. There were numerous windows covering the building, bars appearing on those on the upper floors. That must be where the...residents were kept.

Kim climbed out of his car and made his way up the front steps to the heavy double doors of the entrance. The lobby was large with tiled floors, large decorative rugs placed among the various seating areas scattered about the room. The chairs were navy blue in color, accent pillows of white and gray, the tables were made of a lightly colored wood, the surfaces holding small potted plants and different types of reading material. There were also larger potted plants strategically placed around the room.

He made his way to the woman seated behind the reception desk. She looked up from her computer at his arrival.

"Hello, sir, how can I help you?"

Kim flashed his badge. "I'm detective Kim, I called earlier about speaking to the hospital supervisor in regards to an ongoing investigation."

"Ah, yes, Mr. Park is expecting you. One moment and I'll let him know you've arrived."

"Thank you."

Five minutes later, a man of about fifty years stepped through a set of double doors located to the left of the reception desk.

"Detective." Mr. Park greeted, taking detective Kim's hand in a handshake. "This way please." Mr. Kim led the detective through the doors he'd previously exited and down a windowed hallway. "What can I do for you detective?"

"I'd like to speak to one of your residents, Ms. Jeong, in regards to her brother, who is a suspect in an investigation."

Mr. Park halted in his steps, turning to the detective with a shake of his head.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible. Ms. Jeong committed suicide not too long ago."

~❇~

"Ms. Jeong Seong-hee was a very troubled young woman detective. Her home life was tragic, she was abused physically, mentally, and emotionally, raped by the men her parents prostituted her out to in order to support their drug habits. She was only ten years old when she was raped for the first time. They completely controlled her life. If she ever rebeled, they would lock her in a small closet in the basement, without food or water for days on end, only brought out to be beaten or used." The hospitals resident therapist, Dr. Chan shook her head sadly. "The only person that gave her happiness was her boyfriend, whom she met when she was fourteen."

"What was his name, and how did they meet?" Kim questioned.

"She never mentioned his name, perhaps out of habit, as she didn't want her parents to know about him. She was afraid they'd harm him, or even kill him. She met the boy at school, said he was the only thing that brought light into her world of darkness, he was her lighthouse. He was the only happiness and love in her life, until her son was born."

Kim raised a brow. "She had a son?"

Dr. Chan nodded. "Yes. The boy believed to be her little brother was actually her son."

"What?"

"When her parents found out about her pregnancy, it was far too late to "get rid of it", however, the baby was to be raised as her brother, as they didn't want anyone to know their daughter was a "whore". She attempted to run away with her son and boyfriend, who was the boys father, but her parents found out and...it didn't end well."