Chapter III

"This is a sick joke, right? Riley couldn't have already committed a crime, his brother was just sent to jail! What does this mean? Is someone messing with me?" I was about to go hysterical. Riley Raven couldn't have done this.

Natalia looked like she was holding something back.

"Spit it out." I demanded.

She looked hesitate, but responded. "Have you seen the vic yet?"

I shook my head, "No! I haven't, and Mya just changed the subject. What the hell is going on here?" About to go straight up to Horatio and demand to see the body, I calmed myself, and took three deep breaths.

Natalia came over to me, and put a hand on my shoulder. "I didn't want to be the one to do this, but I think it's time you go to the morgue and see. I'll go with you. The autopsy may be done too." She kept an arm around me and led me towards where the body was held. Starting to suspect something awful, I braced myself for the worst.

Maybe it was a person I know?

Maybe it was a friend?

Theories began to run through my head as we entered the morgue. The medical examiner, Dr. Loman, waved briefly as we walked by. I saw all the other deceased bodies that were here, all cases waiting to be gotten to.

I turned the corner, and before I could enter, Natalia held me back. "Remember, we're all here for you. Go ahead." she nodded to me.

Confused as to why she would say that, I pushed open the door and was blinded by bright lights from the lamps. When my vision cleared, I focused on the table. At first, I walked fowards to get a better look.

Spots danced in my vision, but I still made out a face.

I didn't believe what I saw at first. My eyes had to be playing a trick on me.

No.

No, this can't be right. No, no, no.

But sure enough, there she was. Time seemed to slow.

My one and only sister, Charlie Priscal.

This has to be a mistake.

I heard myself let loose a small cry. I collapsed to the ground, balling my eyes out. I covered my face, hoping that I would wake up from this nightmare. This is a mistake. It isn't real. No. I denied the facts. I didn't care if her skin was pale in complexion, I didn't care that her eyes were not full of life. I dismissed the fact that she wasn't breathing and a calm look was set on her face. It wasn't true.

I sat there as the tears fell for a long time. After a while, I felt a hand land on my shoulder. I didn't look up, instead I shooed them away.

"Go." I hiccuped, "Please, just leave."

The person got down to the ground like I was, and I could see their black shiny shoes. They put a hand on my back. "Miss Priscal, I'm sorry for your loss." It was Horatio. I had to look up now. Forcing myself to meet his eyes, I moved my hands from my face. His expression was calm and showed no emotion.

I said nothing as he stood and helped me to my feet. My eyes were puffy, and I no doubt still had tears running down my face.

She is gone.

"H, I don't want to believe it. I just keep thinking that she'll get up and smile at me again. That I can hug her one last time." With my body shaking, I managed to tell him what I had thought when I first saw her dead, lifeless body.

Horatio gave me a hug, " I used to do that too. I denied the fact that they were gone. But at some point in time, we have to accept it. She's gone, Jess." I took in the calmness in his eyes, and his familiar orange hair.