SIX

The morning light entered the cave little by little, golden rays reaching the fire that had died out during the night, ash gathered around the spot where it had been. Behind the fire, was a body. The rays of the sun slowly engulfed the dark figure dressed in dark red but she didn't stir. Her head was turned away from the light as she slept soundlessly, the sun warming her up, her body casting shadows beyond her, deeper in the cave, an obstacle to the course of the brightest star in the sky.

Everything in the cave was still for a few more hours as the sun rose more in the sky and a figure slipped in the cave. His tattoos stood out against his skin, giving away his identity at once. Aang took a look at his companion, placed the fruit he had gathered on a cloth on the ground and then sat down. He started meditating.

He wasn't certain how much time passed. He was lost in his thoughts, his worries never ending as he attempted to figure out the reason to the crew's attempt to murder him, even after all these days, their betrayal haunting him. He still couldn't find the reason for their hatred when he had tried to bring peace in the world time and time again. From now on, he knew he had to be more careful. He wasn't sure himself if he could manage being suspicious of people, though.

Aang opened an eye, glanced at Tapeesa before he closed his eye once more. He guessed she wouldn't have much of an issue suspecting people. From what he had gathered in the last few days they had lived together, she had an issue putting her trust in anyone. It would have been a lot easier for him if he had someone like her by his side to make sure he didn't do something impulsive or reckless. Even though he was rather optimistic, however, he knew that was unlikely.

The life of the Avatar was a lonely one, he had gathered in the last few years. His friends were always eager to support him—and he had many of them—but they were living on entirely different places around the world. Zuko was in the Fire Nation, Katara was in the Southern Water Tribe, Sokka and Suki travelled from the Southern Water Tribe to Kyoshi regularly, King Bumi was in Omashu. Nobody was with him at all times, except from Appa and Momo but even they had to leave at some point. Appa and Momo were with Sokka right now, days away. Aang, as he had almost grown used to, was alone.

Stranded in an island with his only company a woman from the Fire Nation fleet who had risked her own life to get them both to safety, Aang couldn't help but reflect on his life, the absense of the people he loved in it. He knew why it had come to this—it wasn't anybody's fault and once more, his Avatar duties and his friends' responsibilities had gotten in the way—and he knew he couldn't change it. There was nothing he could do. The loneliness grew with every hour and when he heard Tapeesa shift as she woke up he couldn't have welcomed the distraction from his thoughts more.

"Good morning," he told her with a smile that didn't hint on his previous thoughts at all as he opened his eyes. Tapeesa was still sleepy as she pushed herself up and mumbled her own greeting. He pushed the fruit towards her and she got one without asking, as it had become their routine in the last few days. Aang spoke up. "I think we should pay a visit to the village today. They might need our help with something and they could also have heard anything about Zuko."

"We should go, then," she muttered as she glanced at the fruit, inspecting it closely before she took a bite, slowly, almost lazily, her motions still not up to regular speed due to sleep. She spoke up after she swallowed. "Do you really think they'll have heard something?"

"No," he admitted the moment she had faced him. "I need to do something different, though. I feel useless, stuck in this island while I could be helping in the former colonies."

"The situation in the colonies isn't going to change in a few days," she pointed out, "what matters is you actually going. You'll help them, eventually."