NINETEEN

Something had changed. Tapeesa could feel it, even though she didn't attempt to put her mind to it, figure out why. It wasn't because of the change of place, even though she and Aang had reached the next city of the colonies a few hours ago and were already resting before their travel to the next city tomorrow, and it certainly wasn't because of the slightly colder weather. As she sat in the saddle on Appa's back, she didn't need to ponder over it to know the only reason she felt this change was because of her relationship with Aang.

It felt different. When they had woken up, early in the morning a few hours ago, he had smiled at her and helped her gather their supplies before they left, heading off to the next city. It had been quiet at first but then he had started talking, sharing stories of his adventures during the war as a particular plain seemed to remind him of a place he had passed by when the Fire Lord's sister, Azula, had been on his trail. Tapeesa hadn't attempted to interrupt him. It had been a while since he had last let her know of his adventures, he hadn't mentioned his friends in a while. It felt like the first time they met, when they had had no mission, no one to keep them company but each other. And when he had finished his story and she actually thought to ask questions, the smile he had sent her when he realised she had been paying attention was as bright as the sun itself.

It hadn't stopped there either. The city hadn't been too far away and soon, they were landing. They headed over, and Tapeesa had been ready to move to the infirmary to start healing the citizens when Aang stopped her. He requested she joined him while he spoke to the people instead. Even if she had tried, she wouldn't have been able to hide her surprise at his suggestion.

She followed him, heard all of his conversations, for once managed to realise what exactly Aang had been doing while they had been travelling from city from city. He didn't ask her to leave his side once and so she didn't, remaining his close companion throughout the day. Hours later, as they got back in the camp, he jumped at any chance to help her. He ended up lighting a fire while she cooked and they ate in comfortable silence. It was a while later that they both retired in Appa's saddle, sitting a few ways away from each other, not touching.

Tapeesa looked up in the night sky, her legs drawn close to her body as she leaned her head back, a content expression on her face. She could feel Aang's gaze on her the entire time. He was watching her, she could tell without needing to look, the weight of his stare having grown familiar by now. Still, she didn't attempt to show it. She stayed quiet, waiting for him to make the first move. And after a while, he did.

"What do you think I should do?"

She looked over at him, her posture never changing. Aang's expression was earnest, his eyes wide, body leaning forward. She spoke up, her voice deep, soothing like the ocean caressing the shore of an abandoned island.

"About what?"

"The issue with the colonies," he replied at once. He shifted closer to her. "The people tell me I shouldn't make them move. Zuko agrees. King Kuei though doesn't, and if he wanted, he could go to war for this."

She lowered her head so she was facing him properly, an eyebrow raising. "King Kuei? I doubt he would go to war. He isn't that kind of king."

"We can't be sure, though," he insisted, "what do you think should I do?"

Aang had never asked her so openly before on her opinion on the matter. Tapeesa added this to the plenty of things that had changed today as she replied.

"You are the Avatar. Your duty is to the people. It isn't your responsibility to appeal to the rulers of this world. That's what I am supposed to do."

"A fight would only bring harm to the people, though," he pointed out, his brows furrowed in worry. Tapeesa smiled slightly.

"There won't be a fight. King Kuei can be persuaded. I would advice you to start negotiating as soon as possible."