1.

Night seems like forever but in a matter of seconds I see glimpses of golden sunlight rising shyly to settle in the sky.
The beginning of a new day.

I'd been up for a few hours, thinking.

You know, most people have "thinking times" usually in the shower, poring over deep questions like "is water truly wet?"
Well, this was my thinking time.

I turned to look at my best friend,
I slept over at her place again. She was at the other side of the room snoring as if there was no tomorrow.
Emery, the most popular girl in school.
I smiled, then threw a pillow at her "Lacey you idiot, why won't you let me sleep? " she murmured
I don't know how I was able to understand that.
Fine! I'd let her sleep.

I went to the bathroom to start getting ready.
......................

"Hey Em, the beanie or the jacket?"
She paused, turned to look at me then shrugged " The jacket I guess, but Lacey you look good in everything. You could totally rock sackcloth"
Then she burst out laughing " sounds like a tongue twister.... Rock sackcloth"
She continued to chuckle at her lame joke as I took the jacket.

I rolled my eyes at her and urged her to hurry up before we were late again.
Soon we were both ready and we got into her fancy sports car. "Hey Lacey, texted the girls yet?" she turned to retouch her lip gloss, waiting for a response from me

"on their way already"

As cliché as it may seem, Emery and I had found three more girls and added them to our little group and coincidentally our names formed the ELITE.
Ingrid was always in stilettos, Tess with the beautiful hair and Erica the movie fanatic.
Oh and our group, we don't care about the earth or about theatre.
No
What do they call them in the movies?
Yeah, mean girls.

The stereotypical and cliche girly powerhouse who lorded it over every one and occasionally walked in formation through the halls and to the cafeteria.

We were those girls