Chapter 11 - Blank Space

Yami sat in an uncomfortable chair next to Yugi's bedside. The boy was dressed in white, with bandages covering most of his body. He laid upon white sheets, hooked up to many systems. Only sounds from the machines could be heard in the room. Yami silently sat there, contemplating his next move.

It had been only a few short hours since Yugi was released from the emergency room into a normal hospital room. His grandpa came to visit for a short time before returning home. Yami couldn't shake the feeling that he was hiding something. Kaiba had stayed in Joey's room the whole time and he wouldn't let Joey see Yugi yet. Tristan didn't pick up his phone, or did Ryou. Tea was too far away but she did send her regards.

Yami couldn't shake the feeling that the whole fiasco was his fault. After the incident and having lots of time to think to himself, he started to remember something from the past. This was when he had just been released from the puzzle and had no idea who he was.

He knew Ushio's face and found that he recognized him from before. Yami did remember Joey saying something about right after he beat up Yugi, he became insane. One of the only people capable of doing this to a person would be Yami, but he couldn't remember all of the details.

Yami's train of thought was interrupted by a squeak from the door. A man in a white coat walked quietly into the small room. "Sir, visiting hours have just ended...I ask you to come back tomorrow after you get your things packed. Mr. Mutou should wake up in the next few days so don't worry, he's in my care." The nice doctor gave Yami a few more minutes with Yugi before he had to leave.

"Please wake up soon...I don't know what I'll do without you, Aibou." Yami planted a light kiss on Yugi's face trying not to bother any of his bruises. With a sad smile, Yami left the hospital and went on his short walk home.

It wasn't too long until Yami reached the Mutou residence. He had never even got a chance to unpack his room, let alone his house, with everything that had happened in the last few days. Lucky for him, all of the furniture and boxes were already inside and most of them were unpacked. All except for his room and Yugi's. He terribly missed his other half.

"Welcome back, Yami." Grandpa had a sad smile on his face as Yami walked in. Yami only nodded as he walked up the stairs up to his room. The steps were perfectly silent, no creak at all. The walk to his room was short since he didn't even think, no thoughts swirled in his head.

Yami placed the small bag he brought back from the hospital on his bed. He could only tear up at thoughts of Yugi. Why was it always him? Why can't I take anything for us and not him? Why am I so useless? A few silver tears fell from the tan skinned boy's face. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a golden light from under Yugi's bed in the next room.

Curiosity got the better of Yami as he tracked into Yugi's messy room and kneeled down next to the bed. He was correct, there was something shining under the bed. Yami reached a hand under the bed, grabbing the glowing chunk. But as soon as he picked it up, it glowed even brighter.

- Memories of The Past

Yami opened his eyes trying to figure out what had just happened. He looked around finding himself in Yugi's old room. The man himself was lying on his small bed.

"Why did I have to send you away..." These words sent chills down Yami's spine. He went over to the boy placing a hand over Yugi's, only to faze through him. Right now, the former pharoah was a ghost in someone else's memories.

Yugi cried the night away. Spirit form Yami watched his love cry for hours, it split his heart open having to watch the one he loves with all of his being hurt like that. "I-I never got t-to tell you that I l-love you!" The tears streamed down the poor boy's face quicker and quicker.