Officially Courting & Surprise Guest

During supper, Hermione sat in the middle of the table where anyone who would want to talk to her could. Unfortunately, almost everyone wanted to ask her at least one question so she hardly got a bite in.

As they walked from the dining room to the ball room, Pansy pulled Hermione into a room and motioned for her to be quiet before lifting the concealing charm she had placed on her plate full of food.

"Oh Pans," Hermione whispered, "Your a life savor!"

Pansy giggled, "I know how these things go and I noticed how you spent more time talking than eating." Pansy whispered back as Hermione quickly ate, "You have to be quick but I've already arranged for all the servers to find you first throughout the night so you can snack."

"I don't think I'll need much more than this." Hermione said between bites of mashed potatoes.

Pansy smiled, "That dress is tight, the room will get hot and you will be dancing more often than not. Trust me, you will build up a an apatite and if you don't eat you'll faint. I would like to avoid that." The dark haired girl whispered. "Also drink a glass of water between every one of liquor."

"Okay," Hermione whispered after she chewed her last bite. "Let's go."

Pansy nodded once and then knocked lightly on the door three times. She winked at Hermione while they waited for the door to open. Once it did, Hermione followed Pansy out of the room where they joined Draco and Blaise.

"Were you guys standing guard for us?" Hermione whispered to Draco as they followed Blaise and Pansy into the large ball room.

Draco smirked and nodded quickly, "It's bad manners for a lady to eat quickly, especially in a room that's not designated for dining." he smiled down at her, "We just wanted to make sure no one caught you guys."

"Thank you." Hermione whispered through her smile as they walked through the ballroom doors. Once Hermione looked forward a gasp escaped her mouth. "Draco it's beautiful." she said in awe of the room.

"I'm glad you like it love." Draco said through his ear to ear grin. "I tried to get it as close to the ballroom in the story book but obviously had to improvise a little."

Hermione looked up with tears of joy in her eyes, "It's perfect. Thank you."

"Of course. Now come with me, I have a quick announcement now that most of the guests are here and it's almost time for the opening dance." Draco said as he lead Hermione to the center of the room. "Wait here." He said as he walked over to the band to get them in position.

As Draco walked back, Hermione looked around and watched as people looked at her with mixed expressions. Some were proud, some looked annoyed and unapproving, some even looked like they were impressed. Hermione ignored the negative looks and focused on the expression she was putting out to them, which was a slight smile and expressionless eyes.

"Ladies and Gentleman, if I might get your attention." Draco paused while the crowd's whispers silenced. "I know this is a little unorthodox as I am not your host for tonight but I have asked the Zabini's permission to welcome you all to their home for another wonderful evening of dancing and good company. First off, thank you Mrs., Mr. and Miss Zabini for hosting us in your lovely home." Draco said before raising his glass of Champaign in a host which everyone joined. Once his sip was swallowed, he continued. "Secondly, I would like to remind everyone why we are all here tonight; to welcome the hidden daughter of Jean and the late Robert Zabini. Thank you for gracing us with your return Hermione Jean Granger-Zabini." Again Draco lifted his glass and again, the room followed suit. Hermione blushed furiously while the attention was drawn to her. "Lastly, I take deepest pleasure, in announcing the courtship between the beautiful Miss Granger-Zabini and myself."

The room erupted in a mix of 'awes' and gasps, before turning into excited whispers.

"If it pleases the Zabini family," Draco said above the ballroom chatter, "I would like to lead the first dance with the help of my one true love." the young man said as he looked to his smirking girlfriend who still stood in the middle of the dance floor.

"We would be honored Mr. Malfoy." Blaise called from where he stood next to his mother who's eyes were filled with tears of joy.

Not needing any more confirmation, Draco walked from the stage and joined his love on the dance floor. "Like my surprise?" He asked as he took Hermione's right hand in his left and placed his right on her lower back.

Hermione tried to hide her giggles as the music started, "I did actually. You made sure everyone knows I'm unavailable while still following the rules of courtship and helping me prove I'm worthy of my new surname." The Gryffindor smirked like a Slytherin.

"Have I told you lately that I love your brain?" Draco said as he looked deep into her eyes while spinning her around the dance floor.

"No, but if you love my beautiful brain as much as I do yours, then I do believe this we are going to get along nicely Mr. Malfoy." 

Draco kissed the top of Hermione's head before spinning her again, "I'm so unbelievably happy you understood what I was doing by announcing that. Harry looked worried and he made me second guess how you were going to react."

Hermione threw her head back and laughed, "Yes well Harry hasn't studied the rules and traditions of pureblood courtships like I have. He's also to emotional, he thinks with his heart and feelings more often than his brain and logic."

"Well if nothing else, you have to admire how he cares for you and your heart." Draco smiled to the boy who lived from across the room over Hermione's shoulder.

"He's a good brother." Hermione hummed as the song began to slow and Draco lowered her into a dip to finish their dance.

"Speaking of brothers, Blaise is coming up behind me to have the second dance with you, when I bring you up, I'm going to spin you into his arms." Draco whispered before raising Hermione.

The spin from one Slytherin to the next was flawless and as Hermione's hand settled on Blaise's shoulder, the next song began, bringing more couples onto the dance floor. The Zabini twins gossiped, joked and laughed as they twirled around the dance floor.

Once their dance was done, Harry stepped up to dance with Hermione, then Arthur, Bill, Charlie, George and finally Lucius before Hermione was able to take a break for a glass of Champaign and a bite of one of the many appetizers floating around the room.

"Miss Granger-Zabini, aren't you a vision." A familiar voice called from behind her.

Turning around, Hermione sucked in a breath once she realized who was standing there. "How?" she whispered.

"Got out of Azkaban on good behavior." the dark haired man said as he stepped closer to the young witch, "Well, that and the fact that I'm the last Dolohov alive."