•~•5•~•

After a week I met all the children and became friends with most of them.

"Miss Williams," Miss Peregrine said as she stepped into the library, where I was reading. I looked up from the book in my hands and smiled. She smiled back and took a seat across from me. "As you know, you are an ymbryne." I nod. "There are many dangerous things out in the world that we ymbrynes need to protect children from." She went on. "Hollows, wights, normals, etc." I nod, knowing where this was going. "So there are many things you need to learn in order to protect yourself and others if you are faced with one of those horrible things." I found it amusing that she thought normals were as bad as hollows and wights. "I know a lot about self defense Miss Peregrine." I reassure her. She nods. "Yes but what would you do to comfort the children in such a situation?" I think for a second. "Well I'd have to be in that situation." I say. She thinks about this. "Fair enough."
We sit in silence for a few seconds before
Claire bursts into the room crying. "What happened?" Miss Peregrine asked, rushing up to her. "I tripped over a rock and scraped my knee." She said through sobs. I looked down at her knee to see it gushing. "Oh sweetie, it's going to be okay." I say as I pick her up and set her down on a chair. I turn around. "Miss, would you be so kind as to bring me the bandages and some Neosporin?" Miss Peregrine nodded and went to go get the materials. Claire kept crying. I tried to comfort her. "Claire, took at me." I tell her. She looks away from her wound. "It's okay." I say, trying to reassure her. She calms down a bit and wipes her tears. I sigh in relief as Miss Peregrine returns with the bandages and disinfectant. "Claire, this is going to sting, but only for a moment." Miss Peregrine says as she opens the bottle. I hold Claire's hand as she flinches. "See, all better." I say. Claire smiles and Miss Peregrine wraps her knee in a bandage.

Later, I heard a knock on my door. "Come in." I say. The headmistress walked in. "You handled Miss Densmore's situation very well." She said. I sighed. "Well, anyone would've done what I did." I say, trying not to think of the little girl in such pain. Miss Peregrine sighed. "Unfortunately Miss Williams, you're incorrect." With that she left the room. I could hear her uneven steps all the way down the hall. What a peculiar thing to say.

I couldn't sleep, I was busy thinking about the future, (something that Miss Peregrine discouraged) what if I let everyone down? What if I'm a horrible ymbryne? All these what if's. I sighed quietly, giving up on trying to sleep. I step out of bed as quietly as possible and make my way down to the kitchen.

I pull a cup from the cabinet and fill it with tap water. Sitting at the table, I close my eyes and eventually drift off. I heard a footstep on the stairs and Jolt up, gasping. "Sorry didn't mean to startle you." It was Alexander. "What are you doing?" He asks. I sigh. "Couldn't sleep, you?" He shakes his head and sits down next to me. "Woke up and noticed that you weren't there." I was tired so we both went upstairs and slept for the rest of the night.