Chapter 2

"Lynn we're here," my dad said loudly waking me up. I opened my eyes and found both of my parents looking at me with a hopeful gleam in their blue eyes. Wow, I didn't have any nightmares. I almost always have nightmares, especially when I'm in a vehicle. All those bumps and turns will take me right back to that moment when Jerome first took me.

"Honey, did you have any nightmares on the ride over?" Mom asked me. I rubbed some of the sleepiness out of my eyes and sat up straight.

"No, I didn't," I told her with a big smile appearing on my face. My mom smiled and started to jump up and down in her seat making her dyed blonde hair bounce around her face. She squealed a bit and grabbed Dad's shoulder shaking it rather violently.

"That's great! You're making progress," Dad said relieved. He adjusted his glasses on his face from Mom's shaking and gave me a hopeful smile.

"Well let's go into the new house!" Mom said cheerily. How does this woman still have so much energy after driving for so long? I'll never know. I'm exhausted right now and I got to sleep most of the way.

Mom and Dad gathered a few things from the front of the car while they got out and went to the trunk. I grabbed my phone, blanket, and pillow then opened the car door.

The cold air rushed around me and demanded my attention. Okay, so White Lake is a bit colder than New Haven. I wrapped my blanket around my shoulders and walked to the trunk of our little white sedan.

I followed my parents' lead and grabbed my bag from the car, after which I went into the new house. This house is a lot smaller than our old house. That's also my fault though. I told my parents when we first decided to move that I wanted to move somewhere completely different. We went from a large port town that was one big dock to a town that is basically lost in the forest. We went from a medium-size modern home to a small cozy-looking cottage. It was really cute and all but it's definitely going to be an adjustment.

Looking out the window from my new room I sighed out in relief when I saw that there were three more houses similar to ours within view. At least we aren't completely isolated out here. What if they're out here because they're hiding things though? What if they're all kidnappers and that's why they live in the middle of the forest with hardly anyone around? What if there aren't more neighbors because the ones that are here kill the new ones?

My breathing started getting heavy. No! Stop! Pull yourself together.

I closed my eyes and willed myself to a somewhat calm and peaceful state. Well, as peaceful as I can get nowadays.

I opened my eyes again and redirected my thoughts. I looked around my small bare room. My bed was coming tomorrow with the moving trucks so I just had a sleeping bag on the floor for tonight. I can already tell that it's going to be hard to fit all my stuff in this room. Well, I asked for this. I have to live with my decisions.

I laid down inside my sleeping bag and stared up at the ceiling fan. Tomorrow I'll get everything in place. I'll get settled in, maybe even go with Mom to see the rest of White Lake. Dad said that there seemed to be a lot of nice families here and that they all got along with each other greatly. Maybe I'll meet some kids that are in my grade before school starts next week. This can be my chance to be normal again. I let myself think of all the good possibilities. Something I haven't allowed myself to do in a while, and I drifted off to sleep with a sense of good things to come.