Chapter 4

"Do you have everything you need for school?" Mom asked me as I grabbed my already packed backpack. I then snatched a few pieces of bread and put them in the toaster.

"I think so. I'll figure out for sure once I'm there," I said shrugging my shoulders. Mom blew out an annoyed breath at my answer but didn't say anything. My toast popped up and I quickly spread strawberry jam on it.

"I'm ready," I told Mom with my mouth full of toast and jam. She grabbed the keys to the white sedan and walked out the door. Mom and Dad work at the same place so there's only one car. I used to just walk to school, but after the kidnapping, we all agreed that it would be for the best if one of them just dropped me off. I had my license and could drive myself, but like I said, one car. So I'm probably the only senior being dropped off by their Mom. I'd be embarrassed but it's way better than walking and getting an episode.

We finally pulled up to the small high school. My stomach clenched like it was preparing itself to take a hit. Must be new school nerves.

"Have a good day at school. Bye Lynn," Mom said while basically pushing me out of the car. I stumbled out and onto my feet. As soon as the car door was shut Mom high-tailed it out of the parking lot almost hitting a kid riding a scooter.

What was that about? I walked to the doors and pulled out my cellphone checking the time. Ohh things make way more sense now. Even though I was about 10 minutes early Mom and Dad only had 3 minutes to make it to work on time. Maybe I should tell them it's okay if I walk. If they drive me before work they'll be late almost every day and eventually get fired.

I entered the school and tried to stick to the sidewall as much as possible. Today was the first day of the school year for everybody so I didn't have to go to the office to get my schedule or anything. I had gotten it in an email sent from the school before I even came here. I also already had it memorized. I just didn't know where the classes were physically.

First hour was math, second hour English, third hour history, fourth hour chemistry, fifth hour home economics, lunch was after my fifth hour, then my final class was PE. Now I just need to find out where my classes actually were. I looked around the single hall that held all the classrooms trying to find one that had a sign or something.

"Hello!" I heard a cheery voice say from behind me. I turned sharply on my heels and was met with a short girl with brown eyes and perfectly curled black hair.

"Ummm hi," I said back. She just walked closer to me and looked up examining everything about me. I don't like this. Can she see my scars? She shouldn't be able to because of the shirt I'm wearing... but still. Her eyes feel like they're lasers.

"Can I help you?" I questioned desperate to make the lasers cease. She shook her head a bit and her gaze met my eyes.

"Oh no! Maybe I can help you though? I haven't seen you here before. Do you need any help finding anything? You seem a bit lost," she said nervously tucking her hair behind her ears. Was she into me or something? Why was she rambling and studying me? Does she know who I am? Stop it! Even if she does know she hasn't brought it up so I sure as hell ain't gonna bring it up either. It's not like saying hey I'm a kidnapped victim wanna see my scars is a great way to make friends anyways.

"Yeah, actually I could use some help. I'm trying to find the classroom for senior math," I answered forcing my mistrust to die down. The girl visible deflated as soon as I said math and gave a small frown. Uhh did I do something wrong? I'm pretty sure I didn't, but maybe I somehow offended her.

"Dang it. I was hoping we'd be able to just go to the same class, but math is my second hour. Maybe we'll have another class together though!" She said regaining her lost smile as she went.